Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an aquarium newbie. I'm planning to get my first betta fish in a day or two (after my aquarium temperature is properly regulated.) I have fake decorations in my 5 gallon aquarium. I want to try one real plant. I was thinking of trying an anubias petite. That seems like a good starter plant.

I don't fully understand the quarantine process with plants. The anubias I've seen at Petco are in tiny individual bowls. If I get one of those, do I need to keep it separately from my aquarium for a few weeks or can I just wash it and plant it the same day that I get my fish?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'd wash it and plant it straight away. Don't think there's much that can transfer from plant to fish and you'll see hitch-hikers pretty easily in the cup. Remember that the rhizome needs to be above the soil; you need to tie off the anubias on driftwood or a rock.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had trouble tying my plants to the rocks in my tank. I was looking for a better way to tie them down and found it at Pet Smart. I bought 3 small fake plastic plants for $1.19 each. I pulled out the plastic plants, which came out really easy, and I was better able to tie the plants to the base using the hole left by the plastic plant. Then I buried the base in the substrate leaving the rhizome about the substrate.
Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts