Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got some of those little glass pots you stick to the inside wall of your tank with suction cups. Are there any plants in particular that would do well in these? I thought about putting a moss ball in there but it seems a little big. I think something that hangs would look nice but I don't know what would work in it. Any advice? What do you use them for, if you have one, that isn't a plant? Thanks!

·
Registered
223 Posts
All my plants want to float to the surface so I don’t think you’ll find anything that will hang down like a traditional potted plant. I’ve seen the glass pots you’re talking about, I’ve thought about getting some they look neat. If you put gravel in them is it too heavy for the suction cup? Lots of aquarium plant choices out there. I recently learned that golden creeping Jenny can be grown under water so I uprooted the ones I had in my flowerbed “rinsed them off well” and put them in my fish tank LOL they are doing fine so far and it’s been well over a week. I don’t use fertilizer in my flower bed so I didn’t feel paranoid about putting the plant In my tank.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't put gravel in it... yet. They seem pretty sturdy. I squished down the moss ball for now and it looks nice. I'm trying to plant my tank and slowly get rid of the silk plants and this seemed like a good way to start with low investment if it proves to be too much. Time will tell. Thanks for the info on the Creeping Jenny, good info to have!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wound up squishing the moss ball for now. I might have to make a little carpet. Maybe Bowie will use it like a hammock. He wasn't too impressed with the plastic leaf I had. I plan on getting some Anubias soon so I'll try that too.

These are the pots I got but there a bunch of sellers on Amazon. Haven't seen them in pet stores.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I’ve been slowing trying to replace the silk plants in my tank with live plants as well and I agree it starts to get spendy especially if the plants don’t survive lol
Yep those are the pots I thought you were talking about! They really do look awesome I might have to just invest in some myself 😁

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I've made a DIY version of those cups a while back made out of the bottom of a water bottle & a spare suction cup, they're not as nice looking but they get the job done. I used mine to hold the roots of a Lucky Bamboo so it would still have its leaves out of the water, but unfortunately for me I didn't think about making sure it had enough light on the parts above the tank so it still didn't survive long. Whoops.

I also have a modified version in a tank currently, holding a spider plant up above the water (roots in water, rest of plant above- spider plants are not aquatic!) Wouldn't really be the "trailing" effect you want since it's not in the water directly, but possibly something to keep in mind.
mom tank b 20-05-21.png

You could try an anubias in your cups, depending on how the rhizome is situated its leaves might grow askew rather than perfectly upright (At least, some of mine have). But for the most part all aquarium plants will try to grow up towards the sun as far as I know. Maybe train some moss to grow on a screen, and have it "drip" over the sides?

Also, please post pictures when you can! I love seeing other people's tanks. :)

·
Super Moderator
18,793 Posts
If you use these pots you will need to turn the plants on occasion. You can weight any plant using lead plant weights.

I would not put a Marimo in there. They need good water circulation in addition to being turned every once in a while so they don't brown on one side.

You could use something like Weeping Moss as the fronds hang down. There are other mosses which hang down, as well. I believe Christmas and Willow are two.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts