Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My betta is in a 5.5 gallon with a filter, a heater and 2 nerite snails. A while ago I planted some live plants and while most of them were removed some time ago, there is still currently an anubias barteri and a chain sword - narrow leaf in there. The problem is they have been rotting for a week or so.

I know why they're rotting - I haven't fertilized or given them proper anything (and it was foolish of me to attempt to care for them without researching planted tanks first), so that's not what I'm asking.

The thing is, the only things inside the tank besides the heater is those two plants, and i have no extra decorations or anything my fish can swim around or hide in, so i'm afraid to take them out but if they're rotting then I should, right? I can't yet afford any fertilizers/decorations but I should be able to in the next couple of weeks.

Will it stress my fish out if I take them out now? Or is it safe enough to wait until I can afford other decorations?

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
If it's fouling up the water, I would remove the plants right away. You can get decorations for your fish at places like the dollar store, I've found ceramic incense burners them to be quite effective, make sure you check the inside for sharp edges. It should also have holes that your betta wont get stuck in :) something like this: http://www.oilreeddiffuser.com/phot...l_warmer_room_fragrance_diffuser_ts_cb002.jpg

You always have the option of throwing a clean cup (not washed with detergent) in there for your betta to explore! :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
When I got my first Betta I got him some plastic plants. I didn't know any better. They started cutting up his fins, and so I took them out. I couldn't get my hands on live plants until about a month or two later. He seemed a little stressed out, but is it better to be stressed out or have your fins ripped up? I think being stressed out would be better then ripped up fins. In this case I'm not sure exactly what a rotted plant would do, but I'm assuming it might make the betta sick. I believe that it would be best for you to take out the plant.

By the way My bettas fins healed up after the plastic plants were taken out. :)

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
unless you really have the right set up in my experience it is hard to actually maintain plants in a small tank and it is just not worth the hassle. If I was you I would take them out and you can temporary just use a mug placed on its side to act as a temporary or permanent home but it will provide somewhere for him to hide until you have more funds.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahhhhh! Thank you all! I think I'll remove them tomorrow and try to find something safe to put in his tank. He doesn't seem very bothered by the plants right now, but I read somewhere that rotting plants can cause fin rot??? He definitely has some fin rot right now that I treated with aquarium salt before but has not healed at all and I think the plants could be part of the reason.

·
Registered
323 Posts
You don't need ferts or anything for most starter plants, just a light that provides 6500k daylight. LED or fluorescent!

I have tanks with only gravel and sand and some fluorescents, no ferts... nothing! Just fish poop and they grow really well. Are you sure your light is sufficient?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.