Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I'm not seeking treatment advice, just wondering about plants in my hospital tank. I set up a 1 gallon jar for my little dude in hopes of helping him recover from some pretty aggressive fin rot yesterday. The attached photo has everything labeled that's inside his set up.

I've read that you don't want to have plants in while treating with methylene blue, but I am fine if this frogbit becomes discolored and I need to toss it.

I have a wedding out of town this weekend and am concerned about ammonia build up while I'm gone. I should be gone for at little over 48 hours and don't have anyone available that I'd trust to do a proper water change and treatment. I'm considering adding some rooted pothos to help absorb the added ammonia that may build up.

***Please note that both the rooted pathos and frogbit have not been in my main tank. I am not adding any cycled media from that tank while trying to eliminate this fin rot for fear of some unknown bacteria or fungus I could not get rid of with previous treatment. Instead I'm doing daily water changes.***

My little dude is on a couple days rest from meds, but I'm considering another medication in a few days. This fin rot is SEVERE and I know many warn about strong medication for the fish. It's been a looooooong journey and I am confident that I tried all milder solutions without luck.

Could the roots of these plants absorb my current treatment and make it less effective? Would they negatively affect or absorb the Erythromycin I am considering dosing a a couple days? I know that many plants don't tolerate salt well, but I haven't seen negative effects from my pothos or frogbit in the past. I'm more curious about if they may make treatment less potent.

I thought someone here might have experience with this. Thank you for any advice on plants in my hospital tank!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
The plants will not absorb the medicine, and if you want to add them to the hospital tank it'll be fine.

What you can do for him while you are on the trip is feed him the night before the trip, the morning of the trip do a 75% water change and dose the whole hospital tank with Prime. Prime will bind with ammonia and nitrite for up to 48 hours making it safe for your boy. When you get back do another water change and feed him.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The plants will not absorb the medicine, and if you want to add them to the hospital tank it'll be fine.

What you can do for him while you are on the trip is feed him the night before the trip, the morning of the trip do a 75% water change and dose the whole hospital tank with Prime. Prime will bind with ammonia and nitrite for up to 48 hours making it safe for your boy. When you get back do another water change and feed him.
Thanks! I dechlorinate my water with prime. Do you suggest adding anymore than the regular amount I use?

I tried to test for ammonia before I did a water change today just to see what 24 hours would produce... but since my water already had that blue green tint form the IAL and Methylene Blue I don't think it was accurate....

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it helps, we were out of town from August 21-29. I turned off heaters and filters and all were fine; albeit a bit hungry. ;-)

We have frequent power outages so I always turn off heaters and filters. Smallest tank is a 2.5.

Thanks! I typically go out of town for a couple days and don't stress about the fish, but since he's in this small hospital tank that's not cycled AAAAND he's in such bad shape, I was a little concerned.

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
Thanks! I dechlorinate my water with prime. Do you suggest adding anymore than the regular amount I use?

I tried to test for ammonia before I did a water change today just to see what 24 hours would produce... but since my water already had that blue green tint form the IAL and Methylene Blue I don't think it was accurate....
I'd just add the regular amount. About the only time you'd need extra is if you are fighting with elevated ammonia or nitrite levels and are having trouble figuring out the cause.

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
As a FYI, what I do for my hospital tank is to keep it to essentials only. I have a small tank with a heater and I'll move one plant (a large anubias) for him to rest with their betta hammock. I will cover the tank with a dark cloth to make them feel more comfortable.

In my head, the idea of a hospital tank is to remove them from as many of the items that could be causing the issue (hence the minimalist approach).

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
As a FYI, what I do for my hospital tank is to keep it to essentials only. I have a small tank with a heater and I'll move one plant (a large anubias) for him to rest with their betta hammock. I will cover the tank with a dark cloth to make them feel more comfortable.

In my head, the idea of a hospital tank is to remove them from as many of the items that could be causing the issue (hence the minimalist approach).
That's basically what I do, except I keep a silk plant to use in the hospital tank.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I appreciate this advice and I feel like I am trying to do the same. Does anything I've added seem like more than an essential?

Heater
Thermometer
Airstone
IAL
Frogbit (which I guess is more for comfort)

The addition of rooted pothos seemed to fall into the essential category to help keep ammonia down. Or at lest that's what I was thinking. I don't feel comfortable adding anything from his main tank right now while trying to treat him. (Also, my Betta ignores his hammock, otherwise I'd buy him a new/hospital only one.)

This is my first hospital tank and I have done a bunch of research, but would love to know if you think I'm adding too many non essential things. There's SO MUCH to learn with Betta care. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
I'd say you're about right.

Heater and thermometer are essential.
Airstone is as needed for some meds
IAL is good to have.
Frogbit is optional.

I also have to mention that I agree with Rainbo that you can also use a silk plant in there especially if it's a hospital tank for longer periods. My Anubias is in a plant only tank. My Mishi who has passed rarely ever used his betta hammock, he was always on the suction cup to the heater.

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
I appreciate this advice and I feel like I am trying to do the same. Does anything I've added seem like more than an essential?

Heater
Thermometer
Airstone
IAL
Frogbit (which I guess is more for comfort)

The addition of rooted pothos seemed to fall into the essential category to help keep ammonia down. Or at lest that's what I was thinking. I don't feel comfortable adding anything from his main tank right now while trying to treat him. (Also, my Betta ignores his hammock, otherwise I'd buy him a new/hospital only one.)

This is my first hospital tank and I have done a bunch of research, but would love to know if you think I'm adding too many non essential things. There's SO MUCH to learn with Betta care. Thanks!
I don't use plants to keep the ammonia down in my hospital tank because I never have ammonia in it due to the frequency of my water changes.

My hospital tank is 2.5 gal and due to lack of space I set it up on an as needed basis so it's never cycled so frequent water changes are needed. I also believe in doing the water changes to keep the number of pathogens that may be causing my bettas illness as low as possible. I do 50 to 75% water changes every day or two, and I use Prime as my water conditioner. Doing water changes like that the ammonia and nitrite never have a chance to build up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't use plants to keep the ammonia down in my hospital tank because I never have ammonia in it due to the frequency of my water changes.

My hospital tank is 2.5 gal and due to lack of space I set it up on an as needed basis so it's never cycled so frequent water changes are needed. I also believe in doing the water changes to keep the number of pathogens that may be causing my bettas illness as low as possible. I do 50 to 75% water changes every day or two, and I use Prime as my water conditioner. Doing water changes like that the ammonia and nitrite never have a chance to build up.

OK, thanks. I've been doing water changes every day. Sounds like being out of town from Friday evening to Sunday evening will be OK.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd say you're about right.

Heater and thermometer are essential.
Airstone is as needed for some meds
IAL is good to have.
Frogbit is optional.

I also have to mention that I agree with Rainbo that you can also use a silk plant in there especially if it's a hospital tank for longer periods. My Anubias is in a plant only tank. My Mishi who has passed rarely ever used his betta hammock, he was always on the suction cup to the heater.

Awesome. I'll consider getting a silk plant (for comfort) if it looks like he'll be in his hospital tank a while.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts