Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was having major issues with water quality in my tank. I got rid of the gravel, and other than the fact it kinda un-cycled the tank, it's made all the difference. I tied my plants to suction cups to anchor them, and I've been using liquid plant food, which seems to be keeping them nice and green and growing. But I was wondering if people thought this would continue to work for a relatively heavily planted tank.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
It can work fine as long as you don't tie the plant too tightly (be like tieing your arm and cutting circulation) let leaves or roots help keep the plant down (tie loosely and let the string catch on a leaf), don't constrict the 'body' (stem/crown/rhizome). As long as you do not have plants bunched and tied together (like 6+ stems plants wrapped up on one string) greatly limiting light to the bottoms and especially to plants in the center of the bunch, you should be good to go. Plants feed form the water columns or roots, if roots are in the water column (not in a substrate) and you're dosing ferts they can still absorb them just fine.
I actually have some anubias in quarantine with my new betta in the qt tank. Plant weights have rough edges and there's no substrate to hide them in so I also used a suction cup and several lengths of fishing line.. lose loops over rhizome intentionally tangled into the roots so it doesn't constrict the rhizomes at all.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.