Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I learned this from a video on youtube but I am now unable to watch it, and some of you may also be unable to watch it ,so here is 'how to' with pictures.

So here is what you will need
1: Plastic mesh
2.Scissors
3.bread twisties or fishing line
4. a suction cup

#1 you need to cut it to the preferred size and then bend it as shown
#2 if you use the twisty you will need to twist the 2 corners together, if you use fishing line, tie them, a knot on each corner.
#3 make sure all the sharp edges are removed, i cut them off...
#4 it should look like this now... no sharp edges and the corners are connected
#5 cut out a hole for the non-suction cuppy side of the suction cup, make it a bit small so its snug!
#6 insert the suctions cup, and now you have a fish hammock.

if you would like to (if you find the video on youtube it may help better idk) but you can tie a piece of plant to the top of the front side and then your fish can hide in there... my fish like to hide in it lol.

Turquoise Design Pattern Paper

Reactions: thekoimaiden

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
yes, my bettas literally ALWAYS use them.... i have to feed them in it because they rarely leave it lol... :p see the top picture? that is Sister and Poseidon leaving theirs lol... and as for the moss, im sure you could, no doubt. i actually would (if possible) weave it in and out of the holes....obviously Mesh and Fishing line are my favorite un aquarium related tools lol....

BTW there are ups and downs to both the twisties and the fishing line, the twisty is MUCH easier to handle, but it rusts... and the fishing line looks good because it is virtually invisible, but it can sometimes cut through the mesh...

@Tigress ... im sure if you bought green mesh and let the moss take it over it would look natural... or you can just.. tie it all around the hammock...

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
your welcome :) i figured not many have seen these yet, so i would share my knowledge. lol. ALL of my bettas use theirs, its really rewarding to see them use something you made XP and mine sleep in theirs...

·
Registered
901 Posts
That is a cute idea. And looks easy to do, bonus!

I've tried the store bought leaf hammock in 3 of my 4 bettas tanks...the first two ignored it, the third loves it. I was really suprised my halfmoon didn't like it, as I tend to see him resting/posing on his decor all the time.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol,yeah it is really easy, and cheap, for like the price of 4 leaf hammocks you can make like 20 lol... (i take twisties from the produce isle in my grocery store) and my bettas each use them....

my bettas still occasionally use the decor instead also..

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a new rescue with a mild spine problem & trouble swimming (hopefully both will go away with proper care) & I was seriously considering getting one of those leaf hammocks for him & my other 2 guys, but this is much better! I think I'll try to weave moss through it if I can. Great tutorial! Thanks!

·
Registered
608 Posts
That is awesome!

I bought these silicone "Wii cover things" at a dollar store and made a similar design, but now I will use your idea since I do have extra mesh from making dividers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is a fantastic idea! Thank you so much for sharing! As soon as I saw this I had to go make one. I put it in and Dante (my red CT) keeps swimming around it like he's thinking "What has she done now?" lol

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
That is awesome!

I bought these silicone "Wii cover things" at a dollar store and made a similar design, but now I will use your idea since I do have extra mesh from making dividers.
looks good =D you might want to have the "hammock" half submerged and half emerged so the betta can take a breath when he's inside ;)

·
Registered
608 Posts
looks good =D you might want to have the "hammock" half submerged and half emerged so the betta can take a breath when he's inside ;)
I might try that. He has been on top of it and inside. It's so cute when he does .. I always smile when I catch him. :)

·
Registered
741 Posts
Both of these hammock ideas are super!

The girls (QiBaby is turquoise and PranaMama is dark blue) love their leaf hammocks and I think they'd enjoy a variety of tunnels!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.