Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dumb question here as i brainstorm on some ideas but do you experiences guys think/know if the plastic colored shot glasses you use for drinking at parties are safe to put in a fish tank?

if they are safe i'll explain what im thinking of .... but since im havinging issues trying to find out myself online id fig i ask u guys.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
If there is a symbol imprinted on it with a wine glass/fork on it somewhere, that is the imprint for "food safe". Other than that, I wouldn't know how to tell unless you can find the specific shot glass you are using online and see if it shows the material used to make it.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Maybe, also depends on how it is painted. You wanna take the shotglass and soak it in water for 20 days, of it starts to smell really bad or if it starts to erode it isn't safe, if the paint comes off it isn't safe

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Some will be safe, some won't. From a rather disturbing amount of experience with shot glasses - I wouldn't use the plastic ones because they are quite likely to float, but most of the glass ones should be okay. If the design in them is etched, there shouldn't be any concern. If they are painted, watch out. If they aren't dishwasher safe, they're a no-go.

We had a rather nice set from Disneyland that the paint chipped off of in the dishwasher...yeah, not so good.

Edited for grammar/meaning fail.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I decided to go a little further in explaining -

This is one of the DeadMau5 shot glasses we got from Disneyland. Note the glitter. This thing is no good for dishwashers or aquariums...or pretty much anything, really. :-?

Here's another from the same set after we innocently tried to wash it with everything else in the dishwasher. The frosty color is because of actual frost, so disregard that - we keep them in the freezer:

This plain shot glass is sturdy and unpainted. I wouldn't hesitate to use it as a decoration, except that it's a rather awesome shot glass and I only have one like that:

This shot glass is also unpainted. The design is part of the glass; it would be great, holds more than it seems :)lol:), and it was cheap:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.