Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have a 5 gal tank, it has live plants and a snail, i noticed today that there are a lot of little paracite things swimming in the water and crawling on the glass, theyre really small, smaller than a baby brine shrimp but still visible. i thought maybe this is infusoria? but no idea, any ideas on what it is and what to do please help?

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Google planaria/planarian and see if that is what they look like-

Planaria are often found in aquariums with uneaten food. The planaria won't hurt the fish, but they are a symptom of too much gravel containing too much uneaten food, and that is not good for fish. They require a food source, which means there must be excess food wastes in the tank to support them.

Even though you have live plants, go ahead and vacuum the substrate good- but only until 25-50% of the water is gone, replace the water- then after a day, repeat process to make sure it's really clean. Those suckers are hard to get rid of since they multiply with themself.. in a matter of speaking.

Continue to gravel vac your tank 2x a month real well to avoid this, as well as don't over feed the fish- since excess food for the fish is food for the wormies.

Some people have had success using AQ salt to rid them, but you would want to remove the fish and plants before doing so..

Planaria are harmless to your fish.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Detritus worms are a common problem in some tanks that do not have clean enough gravel; they are a natural part of the aquarium ecosystem however if large amounts of organic mulm (decaying fish food + fish waste) is left in the gravel this can cause a population explosion. The worms are hair-like in appearance and usually vary from a couple of mm in length up to a couple of cm. They can be found both in the water column and on the side of the aquarium; if free-swimming they usually squiggle around or swim in graceful "S" movements.

Planaria is a species of flatworm that is harmless to fish. They usually hitch hike in on plants and are often pale grey, white or black. They are thicker than detritus worms and can be much larger. They often have an arrow shaped head and aren't usually seen floating around the water column, they can sometimes swim on the underside of the water surface (pretty cool!).

Cylops and other microfauna are also harmless to fish and are often found in aquariums that have new plants (they are hitch hikers, too). Seed shrimp, clam shrimp and daphnia can come in via fish food. Some fish will eat these little beasties but if they worry you you can try doing a series of water changes, this will remove any in the water column.
Some microfauna species are absolutely tiny (like you described) and look like balls swimming around the water erratically, others dart through the water in random spurts. Some of them have forked tails, some can be quite large but in general they are harmless.

You can always try googling images of seed shrimp, daphnia, clam shrimp, detritus worms, hydra, cyclops and planaria. This may help you identify the small creatures through process of elimination. I've accidentally and purposefully raised a variety of these critters and while worrisome at first you may eventually find yourself happy to have some of them in your aquarium - I love watching Kaze hunt cyclops, there's something awesome about seeing such a natural behaviour.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.