Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased my Betta fish named Sushi. I began feeding sushi the pellets, and realized he wasn't eating them, only holding in his mouth, to soon spit out. I decided to switch Sushi to the flakes, but to no avail. He continued to spit out his food. This is really concerning me. It's like he's hungry, but he won't eat. Someone, please help!:cry:

Registered
How long have you had him? If he's still figuring out his new home then he should be fine. Make sure to scoop out the stuff he doesn't eat with a net though, otherwise it could settle at the bottom and get gross! :) Good luck!

Registered
Like cinomari said, Sushi could still be readjusting. I have observed that a lot of pet stores feed their bettas freeze dried bloodworms instead of an appropriate betta pellet or flakes. Bettas like those a lot because they are like treats, but they don't have much nutrients. If that is what Sushi is use to, he can be picky at first. You can see if he eats in time, or if you are really worried, you can try soaking his food in a little garlic to make it more appetizing and entice him to eat.

Registered
Yes, some bettas when you first bring them home are still adjusting and won't eat. Just keep offering him the pellets. Put them one at a time into your tank. If he spits it out then remove it. Keep doing this every day until he eats. He will learn that the pellets are the only food his is getting so he better eat it. Bettas can go weeks without food.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts