Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you for reading, Jareth had been acting strange some I last changed his tank. I have him his stress coat and temp is staying steady in the middle of the green on his thermostat(about 75 F). I an so worried he's sick or is going through some sort of fishy depression since I'm taking over caring for him from his owner. His color doesn't seem off and at some point or another his bloodworms are gone(I feed him once in the morning and once at night). He does swim up but only for second and then he goes right back. He used to love to watch tv and dance but now all he does is lay there. I have some photos attached, please help me I'm trying everything I can think of but none of it is helping:cry:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
You do have a heater? 75 is way too cold for a betta. the temperature should be at 80.

Answer these questions.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 75f
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None, he keeps killing them so we just get him decorations

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega one bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every 10 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?25 to 75 three times then a complete tank scrub with a complete water change
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I haven't tested it, he's always been such a drama queen when he gets his tank moved to a new spot but he's never acted like this for so long. Normally he throws a temper tantrum for about an hour then goes back to playing.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? None
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Doesn't play or dance he just sits there
When did you start noticing the symptoms? After we moved him and did a water change
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I thought, at first, that he was suffering from his fin rot again( he has large fins and gets it fairly easily) API bettafix
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Just the fin rot
How old is your fish (approximately)? We got him about 9 months ago

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
First, you need to raise the temperature.

Next, you need to get your water tested. It has nothing to do with him getting stressed when you move things around. Get a test kit like the API Freshwater Master Test. If you cannot afford a test kit then you need to bring a water sample to petco/petsmart or a local fish store and get your water tested. make sure they test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. Make sure you get EXACT numbers. I do mean exact. Don't be satisfied with the "all fine" answer. Stay until they give you actual numbers. Testing your water is extremely important to keeping your fish healthy.

You are also not preforming enough water changes.
First you need to cycle your tank.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=555434
Read this thread

Once your tank is cycled a 3 gallon tank needs two 50% water a week. I usually do mine on Sundays and Thursdays. Pick two days that work fore.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, I did a50% water change and added in his usual stress coat. He's throwing his usual temper tantrum, I also turned on his heater, I was always told to keep it between 75f and 80f so what temp should I be keeping it at? Will going from always bring at 75f and then getting warmer shock him at all?

·
Registered
908 Posts
also, bloodworms are fish potato chips, you should also be feeding a nutritious pellet like new life spectrum or Omega One.

and no as long as it's a gradual warming he won't be shocked, just don't take him out of the 75 and plop him in 80.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
Fish are not drama queens, they do not have temper tantrums. What he is displaying is extreme stress which can weaken the immune system and lead to serious illness.

Lethargy and "hiding" are two symptoms of stress and cold. If the heater is adjustable you can gradually raise the temperature one degree an hour. Some say it should be slower. But when I consider how quickly the temperature can be raised when they are floated....

Sometimes it takes a while for conditions to catch up to fish. Weekly water changes of 50% should maintain safe parameters. In a filtered tank there is no need for 100% water changes if you use a turkey baster daily to clean up excess food and waste. 100% water changes are extremely stressful.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jareth isn't getting any better. I'll go get him some different food when the pet store opens but it's there anything standing out that can point me to a probable cause? I've done all these changes and nothing of working so I'm just getting nervous, I can only imagine I don't have too much time left to figure this out.��

During the tantrums he usually dances and turns sideways in the middle of it, It's not an actual human child tantrum. That's why I say he's a drama queen, it's just something he does that I always found funny. He also worked quickly turn around and then turn back when I'd play peek a boo with him.

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
You cannot fix in one or two days problems that have been brewing for months. More frequent water changes, warmer water and nutritious food will help. Only time will tell if the changes were implemented early enough.

Keeping Betta is not as easy as pet stores would have people believe. The local PetSmart tells people they don't need heaters....one of many reasons I won't give them my $$.

Doesn't sound as if he's having tantrums and or is a drama queen. That implies he's doing something negative on purpose. He sounds quirky....which is something Betta can definitely be. Call him quirky. ;-)

Hope he improves for you.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
+1 to all what Russell has said.

You should keep the temperature between 78-82. Pick a temperature though and keep that temperature stable. Most people keep their tank at 80. Cold temperature and temperature fluctuations are both bad. So it is important to keep the temperature stable. Having the temperature fluctuate 5 degrees is not good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jareth isn't eating and I've made sure to follow the directions on his medicine bottle. I can't get him to come out of hiding but I can see him breathing and shifting his eyes. His coloring has started to go pale and when I do get his attention he swims away�� is there nothing more I can do? Is he going to die? He's so young I never expected him to be acting other than his happy dancing self. I'm so freaking heart broken because I feel like I probably missed some sign from him that something was wrong before he started during near the bottom of the tank. But just the day before he made so many bubbles and danced that I'd have never imagined the day after would be so drastically different.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
why are you giving him meds? no one's advice said to give him meds.

What he needs is a bunch of water changes and warmer water. Like Russell said, this is not going to fix itself overnight. You were doing too few water changes. That will decrease his health pretty quickly.

Make sure the water you adding to the tank is the same temperature as the old water and if you can make sure it is the same or close to the same PH.

another thing.

Check your decor. Those glow in the dark things are known to leech things into the water that could be adding to him being sick. Pull them out and see if they feel strange or if they smell bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jareth finally showed something besides sitting at the bottom of the tank corner. He can't up to me and tried to dance but seemed out of energy almost. He's a very whitish pink fish so it was hard to see but it looks like he has little faint spots near his gills. I'm used to his fin rot now but when he first got it I had scoured the internet for answers. Is this possibly an internal parasite? Ick maybe? He tried so hard to swim and didn't get hardly anywhere so should I act on it as if it were an internal parasite? If I do are there any adverse affects to treating him for it if he doesn't have it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.