Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys,
I have had my betta, Teriyaki, going on two years now. He is normally a very active, big eating, playful fish. But for a week now he has not been himself. I noticed some white spots on his fins, him not eating, and staying at the bottom of the tank. I did some research and immediately went to get BETTAFIX for a bacterial infection. I took him out of his tank and placed him into a bowl and have been using the solution as directed for seven days now. The spots seem to have signs of healing I think.. but his left side gill is slightly puffed out, which I haven't noticed before, and he is still not up for eating or swimming around. It says I can repeat the process for the BETTAFIX for another seven days.. but I wanted an opinion from people with more betta experience than me.

• Tank- 10G, with filter, air stone, and heater.

• Temp- 74

• Food- Betta pellets, I've tried blood worms and other foods that are rec. but my betta will NOT touch anything else.

• Tank mates- one mystery snail and three corys
-* they have been in the tank together for over a year now together and LOVE eachothers company- my betta is not aggressive despite believe. and my cory's are small, about an inch each. They are on the bottom and he hangs out at the top most of the time (besides now).

• water change- once every two weeks, about 50% of the water, maybe a little more just to keep the gravel and things clean- something I am not very experienced with.

• I have never tested the water.. something I should do? Never thought of it before having this issue.
Thanks so much, hope you can help!! :-( I tried to add a picture of the spots.. hope that helps

Attachments

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I would get a test kit and test your parameters. If your tank isn't heavily planted, one water change every two weeks is probably not enough (usually a 10g needs a water change every week...unless there are tons of plants), but a test kit will help you know for sure when it's time for a change. What species of cory are they? Unless it's one of the dwarf/pygmy varieties, you might be a tad overstocked, so I would definitely get that test kit.

Do you have a heater? Bettas need their water to be in the 76--82 range. Since you also have cories, you'll need to keep it at the lower end of the betta range, but 74 is a little chilly. Try to bump up the temperature a couple degrees.

Can you get pictures of the white spots? Do they look tiny, like someone sprinkled salt on him, or are they more patchy?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are not the crystallized looking spots, almost like salt. It is white spots within the fin tissue. I do have a heater! I got the reading after having the tank hood off while looking around in there, so I just checked again and the reading is at 75. Ill keep watching it through out the day to see if I should add more heat. Thanks for the tip. I will go and get that kit today defiantly.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.