Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I am asking for help for my Betta Redd (crowntail). I currently have a thread going on about reoccurring fuzz on his fins (Please Help with Crowntail. Reoccurring Fin Fuzz).

But I am running into other issues now. His fin issue seems to be resolved and his fins are growing back, but this morning I noticed his belly was slightly round like I have fed him (even though I haven't). So I didn't feed him today. He ate yesterday (omega one betta flakes soaked in garlic guard and vita chem), but he didn't eat the day before. He was on medicated food to help fight off the fuzz on the fins he had so I gave him a day with no food before I started with regular food again.

I just checked on him and I noticed his belly is bigger (like an hour ago) and now even bigger.

I have been suspecting he has been eating the snails (little ones in his tank) and also the fins that have fallen off during the fuzz infection.

The reason I think so is because when I have noticed part of the ray (he is crowntail) that had fuzz fell off (that what has been happening). I notice some I couldn't find to remove from the tank and next thing you know his belly looks round. Like constipated.

I would fast him until I see a big brown/dark color poop ball in the gravel and his belly would be small again. I have inspected the poop a couple times this occurs and I always find a snail shell in the ball as well.

This trend has been happening since the fin issues started.

Right now he looks like he ate WAY too much. I like freaking out now cause I don't know what to do. I did notice he had a ray that was loosely hanging on (earlier), is not there (now he is bigger).

And this guy keeps swimming around like he is eating stuff. I just don't know what to do. I am not sure if stuff just keeps circulating through the filter back into the tank. I have a piece of foam in front of the outlet to lessen the current. In the filter I have floss and matrix media.

I just can't seem to keep Redd issue free. I have tried so hard to keep him healthy, I have moved him in a new tank, I have ordered IALs which he now has in the tank, I have also been doing water changes every two days to ensure clean water while he recovered.

I sorry about venting, I am just so demoralized I just keep running into issues and I just don't want anything to happen to him.

Its weird that only when this constipated issue occurs (been happening along with the fin issues) I see his poop (big brown/dark color ball).

Most of the time I don't see it. Even with water changes I don't see much of anything. I am just not sure if maybe he has some internal issue. I have have only been giving him the omega one flakes (with medication) these last two weeks. I don't know but maybe the flakes you don't really see poop since they are so thin (IDK??).

But last time I suspected the snail and/or fin eating I found the poop ball (big again since he looked constipated again). It looked like a dark purple/red color. It was also squishy (felt weird). My girlfriend looked at it and she said it looked like a blood clot. I am not sure how possible that is with these fish. He is a red/purple color, so could it be possible it just looked like that cause if he ate a piece of ray it would like it.

I am sorry for this being so long, I am just so bummed for my little guy as he is constantly facing issues. I would appreciate any ideas or info as I getting to the point of not knowing what to do anymore.

He is still acting fine, just with this constipated look.

·
Banned
481 Posts
I feel the same way! My betta Yin, though I have tried SOOO hard to help him, always runs into issues...first it was gill trouble, then fin biting, then velvet, then he started ripping his fins on something, auggg.
As for fasting, I think you should keep fasting him; and move him away from those snails! Thats my advise.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel the same way! My betta Yin, though I have tried SOOO hard to help him, always runs into issues...first it was gill trouble, then fin biting, then velvet, then he started ripping his fins on something, auggg.
As for fasting, I think you should keep fasting him; and move him away from those snails! Thats my advise.
Thank you for the response.

I just hope it is a constipation issue and not anything else. This tank that he is in is only like a little over two weeks old. And I didn't have any live plants or anything, so nothing that would have brought snails. I am thinking when I added filter floss from my 20 gallon (with guppys and platys and snails) that is how the snails were introduced. But even then I don't see them. My only evidence is with the large poop balls that I found shells (2 times). I also was adding aquarium salt (had in there for 10 days) to the tank as well (which I have taking out now with water changes), wouldn't that have eliminated the snails as well.

To make matters worse, like yours, Redd is a fin bitter too. I think that is the reason why I keep running into fuzz issues. (bites himself, infection, cure, repeat).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's weird, 'bout the snails! I hope he gets better...
Again thank you for the response.
I do too! I hope he is okay.
I turned all his lights off, so he couldn't see whatever he has been eating a little while ago. I just checked on him and I think his belly went down a little.

You when they eat something there belly gets a little round then flattens after a couple of mins (I guess food is moving there the body).

I think that may be why it went down a little now. Cause he was swimming around eating something when he got real huge earlier.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to give an update on Redd. His stomach looks normal (well looked normal yesterday) now. I fed him a piece of brine shrimp this morning. I found the large poop ball yesterday and to my surprise I found two snail shells (I think I also saw ray pieces too) in there.

Looking at him yesterday (and somewhat the day before yesterday) and also today. I have noticed what looks like a bump or something on his head. It is almost in between his eyes. I am not sure if he just ran into something and he hurt himself. It looks like a scrape (grey color kinda) under certain light or else you don't even notice it.

It doesn't look like or ICH or the fuzzies I have been running into. It actually looks like a knot you get where you hit your head on something. I guess I am trying to say it that it doesn't look like something growing or attached to him.

It really hasn't changed since I noticed it the day before yesterday. I am just scared that it is possibly something dumb. I feel my poor Redd doesn't get a break. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts