Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone!

I purchased a betta fish (Ponyo) last week (4/10) at a local Petland store, brought it home, acclimated him, and put him in my 5 gallons tank, heated with live plants. He was doing great for the week. I didn't really look at him over the weekend (4/15-16) because I was out. Then yesterday (4/17), I noticed that he had clamped fins and saw two white speckles on his fin. He was either layer near the filter or laying somewhat sideway on the wood ornament. I moved him to a smaller tank that was heated to hopefully treat his ich but this morning I woke up and he passed. Also good to note -- I bought my live plants the same day I got my betta. Do you think something from the plant might've transferred over?

I tested my water today and nothing really stood out.

pH: 7.0
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5.0 ppm

I've been feeding him Omega One Betta Pellets, Hikari Brine Shrimp majority of the day and on Friday, I fed him pellets and Hikari Blood Warms.

I just don't know if I bought Ponyo when he was already sick and didn't notice it or was it something I did wrong/introduce? Any help would be great! In addition, I would like some insight on how to clear my tank of remaining ich (if it's still there). I read that increasing the heater will kill it off since there isn't any live fish in the tank. Is there any solution I should be adding in to kill it off?

Thanks!

Here are my fish pictures:

When I first got him:

Him laying on the side:

Him laying by the filter:

Ich spot? They're not bubble from the tank:

Thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.