Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My betta fish, Murph, has been very very bloated for the last week and a half and I cannot figure out why. After the third day of his bloating, i figured he might be constipated, so I cut down his food from 4 pellets a day to 2 pellets a day plus half a bloodworm. He got worse, so I stopped feeding him and now it's been three days and he hasn't gotten any better. I did a 50% water change and cleaned all his pebbles and silk plant because they had some algae growing on them. I also added some water conditioner and even went to the store and bought a new filter cartridge for the filter. The ammonia, nitrate, and pH levels are all normal, and the temperature is a constant 73 degrees.
I know that if the scales start to pinecone it means he has dropsy and is probably going to die, but I've been watching carefully and so far he doesn't have this symptom. I have noticed, however, that there is a weird clear string-type deal coming from his butt, and he hangs out at the bottom of his tank more than normal. The string gets a little bit longer every day and I'm wondering if this is maybe a parasite, and that's what's causing his extreme bloating. I've tried the pea thing and brine shrimp and bloodworms, but he's not interested in any of them. Could someone please help me figure out what's wrong with Murph, and how I can make the bloating go away?
Thank you! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Try Epsom salt it's a laxative and I heard that peas are bad for fish. When you tried the blood worms and stuff were they freeze dried or frozen? Frozen is better freeze dried could make him worse. And the temp should be higher I keep mine around 80 they say 76-80 is good. Do water changes every 2 to 3 days to keep anything bad coming out of him out. I don't know about the string coming out my fish Percy did the same thing and a 2 weeks later his scales raised and soon he passed you should order some kanaplex and keep it on hand just in case his scales start to raise that way if they do u can treat right away hopefully some of this helps

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
How big is his tank? How often and how much % you do his water changes? You don't even need to but a cartridge often. You need to swish/rinse the filter media(cartridge) in the tank water regularly to get rid off all that gunk its gathers on them.
How long you have him?
His scales raised because of the bloating. White , stringy wormy shape poop can be indication of the internal infection/ parasites. Usually fish with internal parasites will get sick pretty fast(lethargic, hiding, hanging on the top, bloated, discolored belly, darts, stopped eating) . If there any symptoms like that i would treat him with medications
Can you get API General Cure or Tetra Parasites Guard? Both has Metronidazole and Praziquantel and will help with internal parasites.
If he eating anything at all? If he is eating i would continue to feed him anything he eats . If he has internal parasites he will pass them out with a poop.
Epsom salt is very helpful to purge the parasites out but will not treat. You can use Epsom along with medications. Epsom should be unscented 100% magnesium sulfate without any additives.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How big is his tank? How often and how much % you do his water changes? You don't even need to but a cartridge often. You need to swish/rinse the filter media(cartridge) in the tank water regularly to get rid off all that gunk its gathers on them.
How long you have him?
His scales raised because of the bloating. White , stringy wormy shape poop can be indication of the internal infection/ parasites. Usually fish with internal parasites will get sick pretty fast(lethargic, hiding, hanging on the top, bloated, discolored belly, darts, stopped eating) . If there any symptoms like that i would treat him with medications
Can you get API General Cure or Tetra Parasites Guard? Both has Metronidazole and Praziquantel and will help with internal parasites.
If he eating anything at all? If he is eating i would continue to feed him anything he eats . If he has internal parasites he will pass them out with a poop.
Epsom salt is very helpful to purge the parasites out but will not treat. You can use Epsom along with medications. Epsom should be unscented 100% magnesium sulfate without any additives.
His tank is 1.5 gallons and I do 25% water changes and every third week i do a 50% water change. I've had him since mid-August.
About the scales raising - i figured it was from the bloating :). I went to petsmart and they said it was dropsy, but he wasn't and still isnt showing any signs of dropsy and its been a couple weeks now. His color is still fine, there's no discoloration, thank goodness. He's such a pretty little fella :)
The white stringy poop stuff turned brown after about a week, and it's still brown now :/ he's not lethargic or anything, he swims around his tank and sometimes dances when i have music playing. His appetite has returned to normal even though i've reduced how much i feed him in hopes of reducing the bloating, and he greatly enjoys the frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms! I will try the Epsom salt treatment though because the only symptom he is exhibiting from your list is the bloating:) thank you for all your help and the suggestions! :)

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
You are right his scales are raised due to the bloating. Dropsy(raised scales) is not a disease, its a symptom which can be due to a few different reasons. Sometimes fish bloated and pineconing due to the fluid retention in the body that will eventually lead to the organs failure. I think in his situation its can be a little different. I think it difficult to say what it is and i don't want to misdiagnose but since he is acting normal, poo is normal for more than one time, it can be a tumor. I would not use Epsom yet. Epsom salt dehydrate the fish which is helpful when fish is bloated due to the fluid retention. In his situation you don't want to do it.
So have Epsom on hands in case you need it. But usually if fish has dropsy for long time due to the fluid retention i don't think salt along will help any way.

Water changes : If you want him to live longer i would recommend to do a lot of more water changes. For the tank size he is in you don't need to use a filter at all , its better to do regular water changes.
If you still absolutely want to keep the filter i also have a few suggestions for a water changes and filter media care. If you want let me know what you decide to do about filter and i will instruct you about water schedule.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts