Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10gallons
Does it have a filter? Yes, it has a 10 gallon hang on the back filter.
Does it have a heater? Yes preset 100 watt heater
What temperature is your tank? Always 78-79
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Hikari
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 3-4 pellets at 8am and again at 8pm everyday. Every Thursday at 8am I feed him dethawed frozen blood worms. And every other Friday I cast him for 1 day.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? I perform between 50-60% water change every Thursday night. He does not act ill eats fine swims fine I’m scared he’s a tail biter.
What percentage of water did you change?50-60%
What is the source of your water? Tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vaccum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Top Fin water conditioned if any ammonia is detected before I put my fish back in the tank I use top fin instant ammonia neutralizer.

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: it’s not quite 0ppm and not quite .25ppm so it’s somewhere between those two options, so safe.
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate:0ppm
pH: 8.0
Hardness (GH): my api test kit doesn’t test for these.
Alkalinity (KH): ^^ I live in Arizona if that helps anyone know

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? When I first got the fish he had some issues with tear his fin or tail biting, neither were really bad u til this morning when I looked at him and it looks like he was eaten over night!
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? YES please look at pictures u can see the tearing is really bad. He’s a male half moon.
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 3 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Not that I know of

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 10gallons
Does it have a filter? Yes, it has a 10 gallon hang on the back filter.
Does it have a heater? Yes preset 100 watt heater
What temperature is your tank? Always 78-79
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Hikari
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 3-4 pellets at 8am and again at 8pm everyday. Every Thursday at 8am I feed him dethawed frozen blood worms. And every other Friday I cast him for 1 day.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? I perform between 50-60% water change every Thursday night. He does not act ill eats fine swims fine I’m scared he’s a tail biter.
What percentage of water did you change?50-60%
What is the source of your water? Tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vaccum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Top Fin water conditioned if any ammonia is detected before I put my fish back in the tank I use top fin instant ammonia neutralizer.

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: it’s not quite 0ppm and not quite .25ppm so it’s somewhere between those two options, so safe.
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate:0ppm
pH: 8.0
Hardness (GH): my api test kit doesn’t test for these.
Alkalinity (KH): ^^ I live in Arizona if that helps anyone know

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? When I first got the fish he had some issues with tear his fin or tail biting, neither were really bad u til this morning when I looked at him and it looks like he was eaten over night!
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? YES please look at pictures u can see the tearing is really bad. He’s a male half moon.
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 3 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Not that I know of View attachment 1031116 View attachment 1031117 View attachment 1031118
I have had issues with him tail biting in the past, it’s never been this bad.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It definitely looks like tail biting. I think you need to decrease the volume of water you change every week though. If your tank is cycled you shouldn't need to remove that much water. Hopefully a more experienced member will come to your aid though. I've seen lots of recommendations to add almond leaves and salt baths, but again, do some more research on that. With fin damage the best thing you can do is continue maintenance and keep the water clean. Also make sure that your decorations aren't too sharp, or his fins will snag and tear. Usually tail biting is caused by stress (I think... or if you're like me your silly veiltail will break his back to try and catch food because has terrible aim and will eat his own tail) so maybe he needs more cover, either at the surface or on the ground. I feel like chronic tail biters are usually more anxious fish, and so more cover might help him feel more secure and reduce how much he bites his tail. Love your fish boy, btw. Very pretty. I'm a sucker for metallics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I first got my betta fish he got fin rot soon after, I gave him this product from petsmart:
His fins started to come back quite quickly- this is for bacterial infection. I think it was from stress from a new environment. I don't know if this is fin rot or tail biting though.

·
Super Moderator
22,487 Posts
Fins deteriorating overnight is fin biting. Unfortunately, fin biting is often misdiagnosed as fin rot. I was in a FB group that diagnosed every single fin biting case as fin rot. :eek: Fin rot is 99% caused by filthy environment and is not all that common.

While a concrete reason(s) for fin biting has never been established there are several things you can try.

1) Add more plants and top cover for this shade-loving fish. Open tanks seem to stress them. As does bright light.

2) Get a smaller tank. Some Betta are not comfortable in big, open tanks. Unlike many aver, bigger is not always better for these guys. A majority of my fin biters stopped only when placed in a 2.5. Hospital tanks are always good to have on hand. With that in mind, you could get him a 2.5 and see if he stops biting.

3. Add Indian Almond Leaves or plain Rooibos Tea to his tank for their antifungal and antibacterial properties.

4. Do 25% water changes 2 x per week to, along with the IAL or tea, help in preventing fungal or bacterial infections from establishing.

Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts