Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not sure what is wrong with him. Ive given him medicine for both dropsy and bacteria and nothing. Not sure if it's a tumor or just a bacteria infection that i may not be treating properly. If anybody can help i would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Attachments

· Registered
9,065 Posts
Fill this out-

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

It could be a very advanced case of constipation... Need e form to help more.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? I was using a one gallon tank on him, but switched him to a 1/2 gallon since he got his big belly because it's hard for him to swim
What temperature is your tank? Not sure
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Little rocks as displayed in the pics
Is your tank heated? No, I used to have a heater, but read somewhere that it's best not to have one.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? I use these dry flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? Every other day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every 7 days or 8 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? All of it.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I use TetraAqua BettaSafe Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Have never done this with any of my beta fish. I have 5 of them, never have had this problem.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Bloated belly
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Still eating
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about 2 or 3 months ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, API® General Cure™ Powder and I've tried something similar but it's supposed to treat dropsy.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? When I first bought him he didn't look so good.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for 1 year and a few months.

· Registered
105 Posts
He could be bloated/constipated, i don't see any pineconing in his fins so it doesn't look like dropsy to me, but I'm not sure. The first thing you should do is get a frozen pea, remove the skin, cut it into a bunch little pieces, make sure that they are not too big, make sure they fit in his mouth. Feed him 1-2 pieces, don't feed him too much. After feeding him, fast him for 1-2 days.

Feeding your betta peas will not hurt him, there's a chance that it could be bloat/constipation. It's always good to try things out when you don't know the exact disease that your Betta has. If the pea method doesn't work, then it could be dropsy. Peas don't always work though, you should give him an epsom salt bath if the peas don't work. Epsom salt helps with bloat/constipation. If epsom salt doesn't do anything, then it's definitely dropsy.

Flakes are very bad for Bettas. Flakes always bloat Bettas, you should always feed your Betta pellets. Buy your Betta some pellets, they cost the same exact thing as flakes do. Feed your Betta 2-3 pellets a day.

You should be doing daily water changes in a 1 gallon tank. Change 25-50 percent of your water everyday and 100 percent of the water every week. Try not to stress your Betta when doing water changes.

· Registered
113 Posts
I wouldn't do the pea thing. Betta are not vegi eaters. It's supposed to help move their digestion because of that fact, but it could potentially make it worse, as well. My advice is Epsom Salt. Unscented. The kind you'd by in the pharmacy are of a Wal-Mart. Or Walgreens. It's a tsp a gallon, if I remember correctly. It'll act as a gentler, and safer, laxative.

Just my two cents.. :D

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

· Registered
4,129 Posts
It about 4th thread that i see with the same problem. It can be a tumor or internal infection.
Since you have him in the hospital tank try to see his poop. You can take the gravel out so you can monitor his poop and see it it not white, broken white, clear stringy wormy shape . If it is it indicate internal infection or it can be internal parasites.
He can be constipated so try to monitor.
Just like Noctredors said flake are bad. Also about pea some people saying it good other don't recommend it. But a lot of people on the forum saying that frozen daphnia is very helpful with betta is constipated . So if you can go to the pet store and buy it , it would be good idea.
Best food for your betta now that contains less grain :

http://www.bigalspets.com/betta-formula-1-mm-semi-floating-pellets-50-g.html

http://www.petco.com/product/116563...ne-_-1483889&gclid=CIeP_N-DlbkCFYuk4AodmHkAZQ

A lot of stores carry it or you can order it.
I would try Epsom salt like it was already recommended. Not Aquarium salt. You don't want aquarium salt because it will retain fluid in his system you need UNSCENTED 100% Epsom salt without any additives.
Pre mix it , make sure it dissolved before you use it. Pre mix 1 tsp/gall day one. Pre mix 3 tsp/gall day 2. Do daily water changes , you can alternate between 50% and 100% water changes.Or you can change the water the way Noctredors recommended. See if it will help. Epsom salt is works as laxative for them. And monitor poop to rule out internal parasites.
I would not give him medications any longer because you don't want to over medicate him. General cure is good for internal problem and you treated him with another one too so if it didn't help i doubted he needs to be medicated again for now. Just feed him quality food and do Epsom see if it will help. It also might be a tumor too which probobly will not go away.
When you feed don't give him too much ,it better to split meals (2-3 time a day)

· Registered
105 Posts
I wouldn't do the pea thing. Betta are not vegi eaters. It's supposed to help move their digestion because of that fact, but it could potentially make it worse, as well. My advice is Epsom Salt. Unscented. The kind you'd by in the pharmacy are of a Wal-Mart. Or Walgreens. It's a tsp a gallon, if I remember correctly. It'll act as a gentler, and safer, laxative.

Just my two cents.. :D

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
I respectfully disagree. A pea would not make the digestion worse. Peas are safe for Bettas. You shouldn't feed peas all the time though. Bettas also eat meat, not vegetables. But it will not ruin their digestion.

In my opinion, peas are much safer than an epsom salt bath. Peas always seem to cure the bloat on my Bettas. If peas don't work, then that's when i turn to epsom salt. For me it's peas first, then epsom salt. I've tried peas on all my Bettas, and i have had no problems.

It's up to you with whatever you decide to do, but i would do peas before putting my Betta in epsom salt. Good luck, and keep us updated.

· Registered
4,198 Posts
1) Water Changes
Ammonia, waste and toxins build up in small tanks pretty quickly. Since he's only in a 0.5 gallon tank, you will need to change the water frequently. A half-gal tank will need almost daily water changes.

Your 1.5 gal tank will need at least one 100% and one 50% water change per week. (Many people recommend one 100% and two 50% changes per week for a tank that size.)

2) Food
What brand of food are you feeding him? Some bettas can become constipated and bloated on foods that contain a lot of grains/filler (corn, wheat, gluten, soybean, etc.)

There are two frequently recommended foods on this forum: New Life Spectrum betta pellets and Omega One Betta Buffet pellets. Both contain quality proteins, and fewer grains/fillers. Personally, I prefer pellets, since I can count them out, and I find them less messy than flakes. But some people like the flakes, as well. The important thing is that you feed him a high quality food.

3) Temperature
It's good to have a thermometer such as this one. Bettas are tropical fish, and do best at temperatures in the 76-84F range. If the water temperature falls much lower than this, it slows down their metabolism (including their digestion). Low water temperatures can contribute to issues like bloating and constipation.

4) Suggested treatment
Since he looks pretty bloated right now, I would personally try Epsom salt. It has a laxative and fluid reducing effect. I would start with a dosage of 1 teaspon Epsom salt per gallon.

Do not use Aquarium salt. It contains sodium, which can contribute to bloating and puts stress on the kidneys.

There are many ways to do a water change, add Epsom salt, and acclimate (reintroduce) your fish back into the tank. Here is one variation:
  1. Note the temperature of the water. (Use a thermometer for this.)
  2. Using a plastic cup, scoop him, along with some of his water, into the cup.
  3. Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
  4. Add the correct amount of Epsom salt.
    Your 0.5 gal tank will need 0.5 teaspoons Epsom salt.
  5. Stir until the Epsom salt is completely dissolved.
  6. Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min.
  7. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
  8. Let his cup float for about 10 min.
  9. Repeat the above two steps, until an hour (or more) has passed.
  10. If the cup starts to fill too much, remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
  11. Gently release him into the tank.

· Registered
1,958 Posts
I respectfully disagree. A pea would not make the digestion worse. Peas are safe for Bettas. You shouldn't feed peas all the time though. Bettas also eat meat, not vegetables. But it will not ruin their digestion.

In my opinion, peas are much safer than an epsom salt bath. Peas always seem to cure the bloat on my Bettas. If peas don't work, then that's when i turn to epsom salt. For me it's peas first, then epsom salt. I've tried peas on all my Bettas, and i have had no problems.

It's up to you with whatever you decide to do, but i would do peas before putting my Betta in epsom salt. Good luck, and keep us updated.
Noctredors, can I ask where you got your information that it is safe to feed a Betta a pea? If you are making suggestions that go against a Betta's natural diet, I am wondering if you have scholarly articles that back up the claim?

· Registered
4,129 Posts
I think if his poo is normal color then its not internal parasites . If he is eating then you know he is not suffering. Its might be a tumor . For this long time that he has it and if his poo is normal you don't need to treat him with any medications any longer. Did you see his poo at all?
And on the picture he is not pineconning so its not dropsy. I was thinking if it can be a tumor.
I think keep him in that small tank if you can maintain the temp there and feed him, change the water, keep him comfortable. He might live much linger with that big belly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.