Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like anyones advice please. I have a halfmoon king betta (hes pretty big) in a 5.5 gallon planted tank. He's been in this tank for a few weeks while I wait to upgrade him. Just today I addee a sponge filter and some new water. He jumped out of the tank and onto the carpet. I found him alive and put him back in his tank. I’ve had him since about march and hes never done this. He is barely swimming around, his fins are clamped completely and he has hair from the carpet stuck to him. It also looks like he has carpet burns on his side.

Is there anything I can do to give him a fighting chance?? I dont know how long he was out of the water for. Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
Hello, fish have a slime coat. When my betta jumped out of his tank he was in shock for hours. The next morning it looked like he had a sunburn, that was his damaged slime coat coming off. It might take a few days but he should recover.
make sure you have a cover for his tank. If you just added something new “like a sponge filter” it’s possible it freaked him out enough that he jumped for it. My koi flared his Gills at absolutely everything in his tank the first week I had him. He got used to his new environment but if I add anything or change anything around he will flare at stuff again.
I sincerely hope your guy recovers.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I would like anyones advice please. I have a halfmoon king betta (hes pretty big) in a 5.5 gallon planted tank. He's been in this tank for a few weeks while I wait to upgrade him. Just today I addee a sponge filter and some new water. He jumped out of the tank and onto the carpet. I found him alive and put him back in his tank. I’ve had him since about march and hes never done this. He is barely swimming around, his fins are clamped completely and he has hair from the carpet stuck to him. It also looks like he has carpet burns on his side.

Is there anything I can do to give him a fighting chance?? I dont know how long he was out of the water for. Any help is appreciated.
Have you checked your water parameters? Fish are more likely to jump if the water values have deteriorated. Maintaining water changes and providing clean water is the best way to help him.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello, fish have a slime coat. When my betta jumped out of his tank he was in shock for hours. The next morning it looked like he had a sunburn, that was his damaged slime coat coming off. It might take a few days but he should recover.
make sure you have a cover for his tank. If you just added something new “like a sponge filter” it’s possible it freaked him out enough that he jumped for it. My koi flared his Gills at absolutely everything in his tank the first week I had him. He got used to his new environment but if I add anything or change anything around he will flare at stuff again.
I sincerely hope your guy recovers.
thank you!! i ended up putting in some aquarium salt later that night, and within 30 minutes he was up, eating and swimming around!! him swimming around pulled off a lot of what im guessing was his slime coat. he is still alive and back to being himself! i’ve made sure to put a makeshift lid on his tank until i can get a proper one.

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
Have you checked your water parameters? Fish are more likely to jump if the water values have deteriorated. Maintaining water changes and providing clean water is the best way to help him.
this is true and probably why most fish jump.
there are other circumstances when jumping may happen. Jumping is in both betta and guppy nature. In my case I had my betta Pete in a small 2 gallon set up without a filter for about 3 weeks before I moved him into a 10 gallon with a HOB. He jumped within an hour of putting him in the new tank. I suspect the filter flow from the HOB freaked him out enough to jump for it. He managed to jump from the cut out in the lid where the HOB was sitting. Such a small gap and he managed to jump just right. After that I changed my tanks to sponge filters and glass tops with no gaps. Thankfully he was my only jumper. He used to jump for food but after he jumped from his new tank I don’t encourage any of them to jump at all! I feed fast and keep the water at least an inch lower than the rim lol.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Thanks for posting this as a reminder about the slime coating. My betta Gordy is a notorious breacher. I have to keep the lid partially closed when feeding and just slip my fingers in. Once I knew this about him I covered every inch of the top with plastic meshing over the open parts of the glass canopy.
To my surprise, I went to feed Gordy this morning and he was gone! Two people looking everywhere for a cellophane betta. Like looking for a needle in a haystack.
We finally found him behind the tank, on the floor on my protective glass sheet. The only way he could have gotten out was to hit on the plastic netting hard enough. It is lightweight. Back in his tank he went. He didn't move much the first hour. Three hours now and he is swimming off and on. He's eaten. He does look a bit darker. His water parameters are unchanged, same as they've been over a year. Even so, I did a partial water change and added rooibos. This post couldn't be more timely to remind me of his slime coating and why he might be darker. I thank you! Good Luck.
PS: now I'm off to the next game plan with this 10 gallon tank and Gordy

·
Registered
~Neo (♂ betta) ~Lucy (♀ platy) ~Andromeda (♀ molly) ~Otto (♂ oto catfish) ~Archibald ( ♂ mys. snail)
337 Posts
My betta had jumped out before. It wasn't because of perimeters or anything. It's because I trained him to jump and take food from my finger. Well one day I went to make some minor adjustment to the tank (I think one of my snails was stuck) and he got over excited and jumped at my hand and jumped right out. He landed on the counter, hopped about and flopped on to the floor. He was out probably for about a minute. I'd just washed and put lotion on my hands, so I was using my regular tank tools to get the snail unstuck. I didn't want to touch him with chemicals on my hands. It took me a minute to figure that the safest way is to slide a Ziploc bag under him in order to put him back. He was pretty disoriented and kept his fins clamped for a few hours, but he was completely fine by the next morning. Now I make sure that if I'm ever going to do something with his tank, I feed him first! No incidents since. Usually bettas will jump because something is wrong and they're seeking greener pastures. But sometimes they just get over zealous about food or something that excites them.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I get it! I didn't train Gordy, but man the first week I had him he jumped out of the water and grabbed the food from between my fingers. I'm waiting to see how he will be tomorrow. I don't know how long he was out because I found him in the morning. I can say he wasn't flopping or moving. A bit scary.
Thanks

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yikes! Glad your fish is okay. I had a betta named skittles and she was quite the jumper. The tank I had already came with a lid (I have a cat) and I couldn’t even leave the food flap open. At night if it was really quiet you could hear the “thump..thump..thump” of skittles hitting her head on the lid. I am surprised she didn’t injure herself!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Gosh, hard to believe what some animals go through. I'll know tomorrow if Gordy is okay. He is darker than usual but is swimming a bit more. I'll update tomorrow. He seems stronger since adding the rooibos

·
Registered
~Neo (♂ betta) ~Lucy (♀ platy) ~Andromeda (♀ molly) ~Otto (♂ oto catfish) ~Archibald ( ♂ mys. snail)
337 Posts
I get it! I didn't train Gordy, but man the first week I had him he jumped out of the water and grabbed the food from between my fingers. I'm waiting to see how he will be tomorrow. I don't know how long he was out because I found him in the morning. I can say he wasn't flopping or moving. A bit scary.
Thanks
My betta had stopped flopping after probably about 15 seconds. Even though he wasn't flopping it wasn't necessarily a bad sign. Depending on the conditions inside your house, if it's warm or humid etc, a betta can actually survive out of water for a surprisingly long time if need be. Upwards to even five or six hours, in the best possible conditions. In unfavorable conditions though, probably only about 15 minutes or so. Whatever the case may be, it sounds like you found him at the right time. I think he'll be okay. :giggle:

·
Registered
284 Posts
My betta had stopped flopping after probably about 15 seconds. Even though he wasn't flopping it wasn't necessarily a bad sign. Depending on the conditions inside your house, if it's warm or humid etc, a betta can actually survive out of water for a surprisingly long time if need be. Upwards to even five or six hours, in the best possible conditions. In unfavorable conditions though, probably only about 15 minutes or so. Whatever the case may be, it sounds like you found him at the right time. I think he'll be okay. :giggle:
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
Thank you for sharing your betta jumping experience everyone. It really does happen a lot. I’ve seen several postings this year alone on the forum. I hope Gordy gets better @swee777 💜
My guy Pete had to been out of water for more than 15 minutes. His fins were partially dried to the tray I found him on under the tank stand. He lost both ventral fins, thankfully they grew back along with the damage to his anal fin. IMO as long as there is no internal damage chances of recovery are high.
Realizing your fish isn’t in its tank and then finding said fish is one of my most panicked moments in fish keeping for sure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts