Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my male Halfmoon betta for about two months now, lately I have noticed his tail looking shredded, it isn't discolored and he isnt shoeing any pther unusual behavior. Is this fin rot? The tail is shredded about 1 cm or less in and he is eating normally.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My betta also had shredded fins recently, and everyone was telling me he was biting his tail and had fin rot. Turns out it was neither- he was getting his tail snagged on ornaments in his tank and while swimming away it was cutting his tail. I did the pantyhose test and removed all plastic plants, his fin is healing up nicely now. He also has white in parts of the tips, but his is new growth.

If you're convinced it's fin rot, you could give Jungle Fungus Clear a try; you can find it at Wal-Mart. My Halfmoon came home with a bout of cloudy eye and popeye and Jungle Fungus Clear knocked it out quick.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My betta also had shredded fins recently, and everyone was telling me he was biting his tail and had fin rot. Turns out it was neither- he was getting his tail snagged on ornaments in his tank and while swimming away it was cutting his tail. I did the pantyhose test and removed all plastic plants, his fin is healing up nicely now. He also has white in parts of the tips, but his is new growth.

If you're convinced it's fin rot, you could give Jungle Fungus Clear a try; you can find it at Wal-Mart. My Halfmoon came home with a bout of cloudy eye and popeye and Jungle Fungus Clear knocked it out quick.
That makes sense! He has one plastic plant with some spines they could be cutting him, I will take it out and see if he starts to heal.

·
Registered
190 Posts
That makes sense! He has one plastic plant with some spines they could be cutting him, I will take it out and see if he starts to heal.
Here's what a plastic plant did to my boy. :-(

And here he is after 11 days of Stress Coat+ (contains aloe for fin repair/regrowth).

His tail may never look the same again, but at least he's away from the evil plants and well on his road to recovery. I'm not saying rule out fin rot in your scenario, but just consider all of your options. Many people here meant well for me and my fish, but everyone said "biter" and "fin rot" when it was really something as simple as fake plants. ;-)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes! That is pretty much what is tail looks like, his tail is a bit more shredded. I hope to get Stressxoat plus today or tomorrow, he is living in a 3 gallon currently, should I put him in a small jar when I add the stresscoat, or keep him in the 3 gallon?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
That looks remarkably like snagging, bit but may be a series of shreds.

Have a good look at his ornaments by running pantyhose or a pair of fluffy socks over them, if nothing snags then they shouldnt mamnage to get his fins.

For healing I recommend upping his water change schedule slightly to keep the water pristine and bolstering his diet with a protein rich source like bloodworms (frozen or live are best).
Adding AQ salt to the tank for a few days will prevent any infections from taking hold so easily.

If all goes well you'll see transparent finnage starting to fill the gaps before long.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah, someone suggested that to me and I took out his one plant with plastic spikes. The spikes were outward, his new plants has small spike like thigns but they are all pointing upward, so I hope it will start to get better.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Yup, I would bet money on snagging. A "betta breeder" told me his fin had severe fin rot and I needed to medicate right away. I did a 5 day treatment of Maracyn 2 in this tiny 0.5 gallon bowl and felt terrible that he had nothing to sleep in at night, so I floated a plastic plant. Next morning I woke up and his tail looked like the picture I posted on page 1 of this thread. In my case, it wasn't just plastic plants but also the thin chutes of lucky bamboo, and even the holder for his thermometer. I've even gone as far as adding aquarium silicone to the lip of the plastic tube in his bubble filter. When you see damage this bad you gotta do what you can to "baby proof" these little guys. I would replace that plant with a silk plant if you can, that way he still has structure.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yup, I would bet money on snagging. A "betta breeder" told me his fin had severe fin rot and I needed to medicate right away. I did a 5 day treatment of Maracyn 2 in this tiny 0.5 gallon bowl and felt terrible that he had nothing to sleep in at night, so I floated a plastic plant. Next morning I woke up and his tail looked like the picture I posted on page 1 of this thread. In my case, it wasn't just plastic plants but also the thin chutes of lucky bamboo, and even the holder for his thermometer. I've even gone as far as adding aquarium silicone to the lip of the plastic tube in his bubble filter. When you see damage this bad you gotta do what you can to "baby proof" these little guys. I would replace that plant with a silk plant if you can, that way he still has structure.
I took it out and added a different plant, the problem wasnthat the spiked faced out, i got a new plant where the spikes all face up so i don't think he will get hurt again :-D

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I hope we have found the issue, but for the future when looking for decoartions your best bet is to stick to round leaved plastic ones or fabric plants. I get them for cheap on occasion from dollar stores (which works well for me because then I don't feel bad throwing them out if they start to look ratty)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I hope we have found the issue, but for the future when looking for decoartions your best bet is to stick to round leaved plastic ones or fabric plants. I get them for cheap on occasion from dollar stores (which works well for me because then I don't feel bad throwing them out if they start to look ratty)
Yeah, I just got a new fish tank for my other betta:-D and i got a round leafed plant with only very tiny spikes at the end, he kind of ignores it though so inthink he willl be ok:-D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.