Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
neptune<3
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
nobody replied to my other post so I will try repost this again..

Hello, my betta's fins are turning red at the tips of it. It goes away after a week or two so I was thinking it was blood? After the red spots (or blood) goes away I notice some rippings or tiny holes in the betta fins. This happened for a few months now, how do I stop this?? Will it harm the betta??
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 3.7 gallon Imagitarium Tank
Does it have a filter? Yes it came with the tank (and is part of the tank.)
Does it have a heater? No
What temperature is your tank? 77 Degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? None

Food:
What food brand do you use? Hikari Brine Shrimp, Omega Flakes and BettaMin pellets
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Both, mostly feed pellets
Freeze-dried? Brine Shrimp
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? I feed my betta twice a day and feed it 2-4 pellets (if I am feeding pellets) and 2-3 small pinches of flakes (if I am feeding flakes)

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Every week
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
What is the source of your water? Tap water
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Sometimes vacuum, mostly dip
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? TopFin Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.
I don't have a testing kit (i will try to find one the next time I visit a pet shop.)
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? A few months ago. I believe it is late October
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Some tiny holes in betta fins and the tips of fins are torn a little.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Swimming slower, not as active as he was before
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 6 months (since mid July)
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

sorry the images are kinda bad quality I don't have a good quality camera !!
Beak Feather Wood Seabird Wing

Water Organism Underwater Marine biology Electric blue

i know the angles are bad. my betta couldn't stop moving because he is kind of afraid of the camera.

·
Registered
neptune<3
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
THIS IS NOT MY BETTA !! but, because the photos added were bad quality, this is what my betta's fins look like (in a higher quality.)
Feather Petal Grass Wing Close-up

·
Registered
Amadeus, Newt, Starburst, and 2 Betta edithae.
88 Posts
Hi, I’m sorry you did not initially get responses. While I am not familiar with this issue myself, some Googling suggests that ammonia poisoning may be to blame. I would test your water ASAP to make sure that is the issue.

What sort of filter do you have? Does it have cartridges? If so, that may be to blame— changing or washing the cartridge may result in the removal of beneficial bacteria, preventing your tank from cycling.

·
Registered
neptune<3
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for responding! Alright, I will test it soon if i get a testing kit. If it is ammonia, how do I get rid of it?

Yes, my filter has cartridges. Unfortunately, the filter is attached to the tank, and I cannot remove it.

·
Registered
Amadeus, Newt, Starburst, and 2 Betta edithae.
88 Posts
You can also take a sample in to a pet store and have them test it. If it is ammonia, you should look at the thread on “in fish cycling”— there should be tips on helping cycle your tank. You can also use more frequent water changes and dosing with Seachem’s Prime to neutralize and/or decrease ammonia levels.

If you need to rinse the filter cartridges, I would fill a bucket with dechlorinated water and rise the cartridge then use it again. Chlorinated water will kill off beneficial bacteria that convert ammonia to less harmful compounds. I’m addition, I would avoid changing the cartridges as much as you can because you want those bacteria colonies to stay in the tank.

I hope that helps and please let me know what you find out with the water test!

·
Registered
neptune<3
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I will try to visit the pet shop and buy a testing kit and the Seachem Prime! Thank you for the advice for filter cartridges, I will rinse the cartridges the next time I do a water change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts