Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? 1 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? Room temperature (Unidentified)
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets.
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every 4-7 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Have not tested

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins clamped together
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not active. Stays floating at the top of the tank. When swimming, Is unable to stay lower than the surface of the water. (Imagine throwing a ping pong ball into the water. Always bobs back up.)
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Progressively worse over the past week
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Water change, Removed gravel.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Pet store fish. No clue

My Male betta fish Crimson is in need of dire help. From what ive read i know some possible reasons Crimson has been unactive and swims awkwardly. (Swim bladder constapation?)

Any help would be GREATLY Appreciated because im not great with fish. Any advice on what steps i should take to get Crimson happy again? Things to get?

Thank you....

·
Registered
108 Posts
First of all, bettas are tropical fish and need warm water. It's harder to regular water temperature in smaller tanks, but there are heaters designed for small tanks. Making the investment in a heater and thermometer would be good. Also, how frequent are your water changes? With that size tank the recommended changes are 2 50% and 1 100% water changes every week.

What type of pellets do you feed him? Lower quality pellets can cause constipation. Low quality foods have fillers (wheat, corn, etc.) that hold no real nutritional value. Some recommended brands on this forum are New Life Spectrum and Omega One. Also, feeding your fish some type of freeze dried, frozen or live food such as bloodworms on occasion to give them variety helps with digestion and balanced nutrition. Look up the benefits and risks of each of these kinds because some frozen and live foods can carry disease.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My water changes are one 100 Percent change usually per week. I usually switch tanks in doing so, from a generic fish bowl tank to a rectangular tank he is in currently.

I do not know the type of pellets i feed crimson. They seemed very generic - Betta something. Stored in a red container shaped like a betta. I can post a picture if necessary. I have never heard of New Life spectrum or Omega One but i will definitely give them a try. Thank you for the advice. I will most likely be getting a better, bigger aquarium kit in a few days. Heater and thermometer are on the list, Along with better food and possibly some calming agents. (Aquarium salt?)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My water changes are one 100 Percent change usually per week. I usually switch tanks in doing so, from a generic fish bowl tank to a rectangular tank he is in currently.

I do not know the type of pellets i feed crimson. They seemed very generic - Betta something. Stored in a red container shaped like a betta. I can post a picture if necessary. I have never heard of New Life spectrum or Omega One but i will definitely give them a try. Thank you for the advice. I will most likely be getting a better, bigger aquarium kit in a few days. Heater and thermometer are on the list, Along with better food and possibly some calming agents. (Aquarium salt?)

·
Registered
772 Posts
You'll need some sort of water conditioner to remove chlorine and toxins from the water you add to the tank. Most users here recommend Seachem Prime. Agree that you need to be doing water changes more often.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
453 Posts
Indian almond leaves is a good way to help de-stress your fish. Aquarium salt is usually only used for treatment. Any unnecessary changes in water parameters could cause stress in your fish.

And yes, for a 1 gallon I would suggest doing water changes more often. For my 1/2 gallon jars I do 25% daily water change and 100% weekly, if not twice weekly.

Bettas with swim bladder disease usually float on one side, but in some cases can also be only restricted in the horizontal/vertical direction. Swim bladder problems usually arise from overfeeding. Does your Betta look bloated at all? And how many pellets do you feed him everytime? 2-3 pellets everytime, twice a day should be enough for a grown Betta, unless yours is a giant of course.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts