Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Halfmoon copper betta
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My betta has been going through a lot lately, it was a little over 2 weeks ago that I noticed his fins were starting to lose chunks. I posted on this forum and the recommendation was to increase plant cover to reduce fin biting. A few days after adding a bacopa and indian almond leaf, I noticed that the damage to his fins was increasing with the edges looking frayed and darker. I believe that fin rot had set in and I immediately put him on an aquarium salt regimen at concentration of 2 teaspoons per gallon after removing his cherry shrimp tankmates and most of the plants. This continued for a week, the damage continued to increase incrementally and at the end of the course, my betta had begun to lose energy and was frequently resting at the bottom of the tank. After I noticed this, I stopped the salt treatment (it had been the last day coincidentally) and rushed out to purchase triple sulfa medication which I dosed at the recommended concentration for severe cases. A few days after he perked up and was back to his normal self but his fins continued to melt away. It is currently his 7th day of antibiotic treatment and I plan to continue for another 3 days.
I'm currently out of options, should I try to extend the treatment until I notice results at the risk of the medication damaging him? Could I have misdiagnosed and the issue was fin biting all along?

He lives in a filtered 5 gallon at 26 degrees water changes typically 30% a week though this has been increased significantly.

·
Super Moderator
1,221 Posts
Is there anything in the tank that could be tearing his fins? Personally I would just stop all treatment other than water changes and IAL. He is extremely thin, can you fill out a new form wit his information, especially what you are feeding please.

·
Registered
1 Posts
26 degrees? Is that a type o. if not, Ideal temps for Betta fish are between 75-80 degrees Fahrenheit.
26 degrees
My betta has been going through a lot lately, it was a little over 2 weeks ago that I noticed his fins were starting to lose chunks. I posted on this forum and the recommendation was to increase plant cover to reduce fin biting. A few days after adding a bacopa and indian almond leaf, I noticed that the damage to his fins was increasing with the edges looking frayed and darker. I believe that fin rot had set in and I immediately put him on an aquarium salt regimen at concentration of 2 teaspoons per gallon after removing his cherry shrimp tankmates and most of the plants. This continued for a week, the damage continued to increase incrementally and at the end of the course, my betta had begun to lose energy and was frequently resting at the bottom of the tank. After I noticed this, I stopped the salt treatment (it had been the last day coincidentally) and rushed out to purchase triple sulfa medication which I dosed at the recommended concentration for severe cases. A few days after he perked up and was back to his normal self but his fins continued to melt away. It is currently his 7th day of antibiotic treatment and I plan to continue for another 3 days.
I'm currently out of options, should I try to extend the treatment until I notice results at the risk of the medication damaging him? Could I have misdiagnosed and the issue was fin biting all along?

He lives in a filtered 5 gallon at 26 degrees water changes typically 30% a week though this has been increased significantly.

View attachment 1032145 View attachment 1032146 View attachment 1032147 View attachment 1032148

·
Registered
Halfmoon copper betta
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 26 celsius/79 fahrenheit
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? cherry shrimp which have been removed

Food:
What food brand do you use? North Fin
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? no
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 4 pellets a day

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 30%, now 50% every few days
What is the source of your water? tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? water was removed
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? API Stress coat

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 3 weeks ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? fins have been deteriorating
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? No
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? 1 week of aquarium salt, 1 week of triple sulfa antibiotic
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? A few months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?No

·
Registered
Halfmoon copper betta
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there anything in the tank that could be tearing his fins? Personally I would just stop all treatment other than water changes and IAL. He is extremely thin, can you fill out a new form wit his information, especially what you are feeding please.
So he is looking skinny? thanks

·
Super Moderator
22,709 Posts
Did the first fin damage happen quickly? He doesn't have the normal "burnt paper" edges or melting one sees with fin rot. Looks to me to be more fin biting and/or decor damage. For treatment, I suggest two 50% water changes per week and the addition of Indian Almond Leaves or plain Rooibos Tea. Both have antibacterial and antifungal properties. You can float or brew a strong tea and, after conditioning, pour into the tank until it is at least the color below. Neither will harm your shrimp. Alder cones also work.
TankWithIAL.jpg

Can you post a photo of his tank and one of him from above? A well-fed fish will look like the example below: Smooth transition from head to base of caudal; no indents.
FishFromAbove.jpg
Many people caution about overfeeding without telling a person exactly what "overfeeding" means: Feeding too much at one time. For instance, you can feed your Betta 16 pellets per day overfeeding would be 16 at once. If he doesn't look like the example above I would increase him to four pellets 4 x per day at least three hours apart.

Some Betta never stop fin biting and some do; some even stop until the fins grow out and start all over again. No one knows exactly why they bite so there are a lot of theories.

·
Super Moderator
1,221 Posts
So he is looking skinny? thanks
Yes. 4 pellets a day of that brand of food is drastically under feeding. He should be getting 12+. I would feed him 3-4 meals of 4 pellets per day until he has some weight on him.

You might annoyed that I’m commenting on his weight when you asked about his fins but a severely malnourished betta will have a host of issues which can include lethargy and fin issues.

It is also my feeling that his fins are tearing not that he has fin rot.

·
Registered
Halfmoon copper betta
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did the first fin damage happen quickly? He doesn't have the normal "burnt paper" edges or melting one sees with fin rot. Looks to me to be more fin biting and/or decor damage. For treatment, I suggest two 50% water changes per week and the addition of Indian Almond Leaves or plain Rooibos Tea. Both have antibacterial and antifungal properties. You can float or brew a strong tea and, after conditioning, pour into the tank until it is at least the color below. Neither will harm your shrimp. Alder cones also work.
View attachment 1032178
Can you post a photo of his tank and one of him from above? A well-fed fish will look like the example below: Smooth transition from head to base of caudal; no indents.
View attachment 1032177
Many people caution about overfeeding without telling a person exactly what "overfeeding" means: Feeding too much at one time. For instance, you can feed your Betta 16 pellets per day overfeeding would be 16 at once. If he doesn't look like the example above I would increase him to four pellets 4 x per day at least three hours apart.

Some Betta never stop fin biting and some do; some even stop until the fins grow out and start all over again. No one knows exactly why they bite so there are a lot of theories.
thanks for the clarification regarding the feeding I will definitely up his intake, it appears to me that his fins have been reducing incrementally of a couple milimeters every few days so my initial thought was fin rot, maybe he was simply nibbling them slowly? Also he currently has 2 IAL in his tank though the tannins aren't really getting through since I've been changning the water frequently

·
Registered
Halfmoon copper betta
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These are the photos from the top as well as of the tank. Bear in mind that I have removed the majority of the plant cover as well as his shrimp mates so they wouldn't get nuked by the salt and antibiotics. The loss of fins has been a pretty gradual process, I thought I could see the edges looking like they were melting but I'm not practiced at identifying this sort of thing.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Oh my goodness, he is skinny! I have a suspicion that his fin problems are being caused by malnourishment. The tank is also quite open, which isn't necessarily bad, but it can cause stress for the fish, which can cause the fish to fin bite. Good luck with your fish!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts