Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My roommate's cat somehow knocked my tank onto the floor early this morning. It took a minute to find poor Daffy on the floor, but soon I got him set up in a little med area. At first he looked very dead, but after about an hour, he started moving again! The problem is, he might have been internally injured, and he lost one of his eyes in the fray. The poor thing is trying his best to swim upright, but he's having a hard time of it. I've added stress coat, I'm keeping the water at around 80-82°, and I'm thinking about adding aquarium salt to stave off infection for the open wound on his eye.
I love this little guy, and this whole thing breaks my heart. My question for you all is kind of a morbid one--do you think he'll survive the next few days? If so, how can I make sure he'll be able to eat? His coordination is very poor. ...If not, what's the best thing I can do to ensure he's comfortable when he passes? :(

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
It's possible that he will survive; there have been a number of incidents discussed here in which bettas jumped/fell out of their tanks and made a full recovery. It just varies from situation to situation.

Warm, clean water is a must, and it sounds like you're already on top of that. I would go ahead with the salt treatment. Since he is struggling to swim, you can either lower the water level in his tank or move him to a smaller/shallower quarantine container so he doesn't have to work so hard to surface. This will also help him find his food more easily. If you have Indian almond leaf, the tannins are supposed to aid in fin regrowth and slime coat production, as well as helping to reduce stress. If you don't have IAL, you can use rooibos tea, just make sure that there are no additives or other types of tea mixed in. I also suggest keeping the tank light off and, if you don't move him to qt, reduce the filter flow as much as possible to prevent stress and so he doesn't have a current to have to swim against.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Normally a betta will recover from a fall, most do. Some do not make it though, so be aware of that. Just keep his water warm and clean-it would help if you cleaned it 100% daily. How big is your tank? A big enough tank for a betta shouldn't be able to get knocked down by a cat...

I think AQ salt would be a good idea as well, do the standard 1 tsp/gal.

EDIT-Ah I posted this at the same time someone else did xD Oops.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
xD Okay good

1 - 6 of 6 Posts