Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Dorthy-Dan my Halfmoon male beta fish
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My betta fish which I got a month ago has this cotton ball like thing in his fin. He is constantly lying around in his hammock or hiding behind rocks. He won’t eat at all either. We have done a treatment where we take the betta out in a separate tank and bake the substrate and bleach everything else. It worked for about a day then it came back. It’s been four days since he last ate and I have no idea what to do. PLEASE HELP!! Thank you!!

·
Registered
Bettas..a mix of em
116 Posts
Can you also post a picture of the betta? Bettas can go longer without eating, think up to 2 weeks.

You will be ask to fill out a questionnaire to help better understand the issue that may be going on with your betta, unfortunately i dont know how to post the questionnaire for you to fill out but hope someone will come along and post it for you to copy/paste it and answer all the questions it ask.

·
Super Moderator
586 Posts
Please fill this out thanks!

·
Super Moderator
586 Posts
Can you also post a picture of the betta? Bettas can go longer without eating, think up to 2 weeks.

You will be ask to fill out a questionnaire to help better understand the issue that may be going on with your betta, unfortunately i dont know how to post the questionnaire for you to fill out but hope someone will come along and post it for you to copy/paste it and answer all the questions it ask.
If you go to the "diseases and emergencies" section there is a sticky thread. Click on the thread and you can copy and paste the link into your comment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes, we recently got a new one
What temperature is your tank? 77
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Not sure
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets and dried bloodworms
Freeze-dried? No but we do have frozen bloodworms that he doesn’t like much
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Normally 2 pellets in the morning and 2 bloodworms at night

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Every weekend
What percentage of water did you change? ~30%
What is the source of your water? Tap water that is conditioned
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Not sure

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: not sure
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: ~7.2
Hardness (GH): not sure
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 5 days ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? He has a white cotton ball thing on him and his fins are sort of fading away
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He has been lying around more than normal
Is your Betta still eating? No
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? I have put two types of medicine in his tank for fungus and bacteria. I have dipped him in this blue stuff for ten seconds to kill the bacteria too
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 1 month
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? His color was faded and fins were smaller but that’s fine now

·
Registered
Micheal, Betta 6 months, Neon Tetra, 9 Dwarf Gourami 1, False Julii Corydoras
234 Posts
Since you have 0 nitrites and 0nitrAtes it doesn’t sound like your tank is cycled. Which can be bad for your fish when ammonia gets in high numbers. It’s best for you to do a big %50 water change, and get an ammonia test kit. You should switch to using Seachem prime as your water conditioner during cycling and probably after cycling. All you need to do, is get ammonia test kit and prime, and bottle bacteria is helpful but not required like, stability or api QuickStart. So all you need to do to cycle is do a 50% water change with Seachem prime when ammonia and or nitrite reach .25-.50 and that’s all you need to do until you start seeing nitrates in your tank. Also find the brands of your current water conditioner along with food. Thanks! And good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I now know the brand of my conditioner and betta pellets. The conditioner is Aqueon Water Conditioner and the pellets are Imagitarium Betta Pellets, hope that helps. Also my mom thinks he might be getting dropsy because his stomach is sort of bulging. I am really concerned about this can anyone help? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
568 Posts
The pic said "oops, this cannot be found." Can you repost? And also a top view pic so I can check for dropsy. Thanks :)

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
568 Posts
Hi! Doesn't appear to be dropsy. I still don't see any cotton ball thingy-could you circle it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts