Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I am in desperate need of help and I hope someone can help explain what is wrong with my Betta.
I woke up this morning to find his face full of spots and a flakey-like, yellow substance stuck in his bum.
The bottom on his tank is filled of crusty looking substances- I don’t know if it’s diarrhea or what it could be. I moved him into this hospital tank a few weeks ago because his other tank kept getting worms on the walls and I couldn’t figure out why.
This new hospital tank started to get worms on the walls too and I’m starting to think they are coming from my poor fish :( I don’t know if he has an internal parasite. I really can’t figure it out. I tried researching everything online and I am still clueless.
I am very worried about my little guy. He means everything to me and I was extremely worried this morning when I saw him in this state.
He is still swimming around but the spots on his head worry me.
I really don’t know what to do. Can someone please help?
(Also, his water parameters are always perfect, I clean his tank once a week and do water changes frequently)
He always used to be so happy. I don’t know what could have gone wrong.
Hope someone can help ASAP.
I am extremely worried about the little guy.
I will attach some photos for reference.
Thank you

·
Super Moderator
1,318 Posts
Please copy and paste into a new message and fill out this form when seeking help for your Betta. This information and a clear photo posted directly into the thread will help us give you the most accurate advice possible. Without the information and photos the best we can do is guess.

Even if you're already answered many of the questions in text form you we ask you fill out the form so we will have a quick reference for information.

Before responding to a call for help please request this form be filled out or wait until it is.

If you need more information ask in text; do not make any alterations to this form. If you have suggestions for additions to this form please contact a Moderator.

Thank you,

The Betta Fish Team

Many illnesses can be traced to water conditions. Your water-changing schedule is the most important element in diagnosing. Please be honest.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
What is the source of your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta?
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS

NOTE: EMBED YOUR PHOTOS. PLEASE DO NOT LINK. Click on the paper clip in the toolbar.

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Hello,
I am in desperate need of help and I hope someone can help explain what is wrong with my Betta.
I woke up this morning to find his face full of spots and a flakey-like, yellow substance stuck in his bum.
The bottom on his tank is filled of crusty looking substances- I don’t know if it’s diarrhea or what it could be. I moved him into this hospital tank a few weeks ago because his other tank kept getting worms on the walls and I couldn’t figure out why.
This new hospital tank started to get worms on the walls too and I’m starting to think they are coming from my poor fish :( I don’t know if he has an internal parasite. I really can’t figure it out. I tried researching everything online and I am still clueless.
I am very worried about my little guy. He means everything to me and I was extremely worried this morning when I saw him in this state.
(Also, his water parameters are always perfect, I clean his tank once a week and do water changes frequently)
Thank you View attachment 1021185 View attachment 1021186 View attachment 1021187 View attachment 1021188 View attachment 1021189 View attachment 1021190
Awww sorry your guy is having issues! Can you fill out the form to the best of your ability and I'll tag a couple mods as well to help advise! I'd hate to start throwing around things without knowing as much info as possible.
@RussellTheShihTzu @Veloran

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Hello,
Thank you View attachment 1021185 View attachment 1021186 View attachment 1021187 View attachment 1021188 View attachment 1021189 View attachment 1021190
If you could also get a picture of the entire tank as well it will help along with filling out the form

·
Registered
58 Posts
I tagged the mods. I hope she/ he fills out the form that way it's not as much of a random guess. I'm thinking parasites though, but it's so hard to say without more info.
Poor guy!
Thank you I’m sure she appreciates it!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tagged the mods. I hope she/ he fills out the form that way it's not as much of a random guess. I'm thinking parasites though, but it's so hard to say without more info.
Poor guy!
Thank you all for responding.
The little yellow crust fell out of his bum yesterday. But his face is still full of those spots.
I have gone ahead and filled out the form below:

Hope someone can help. Thanks again

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5 GALLON
Does it have a filter? YES
Does it have a heater? YES
What temperature is your tank? AROUND 80F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? NO
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? NO

Food:
What food brand do you use? NUTRAFIN BUG BITES (GRANULES), NORTHFIN BETTA BITS (PELLETS), ZOO-MED BETTA DIAL-A-TREAT (FREEZE-DRIED)
Do you feed flakes or pellets? YES
Freeze-dried? YES
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 1X A DAY APPROX. 2-4 PELLETS

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? 1X A WEEK
What percentage of water did you change? APPROX. 30-40%
What is the source of your water? FRESH TAP WATER
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? VACUUM
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? NUTRAFIN WATER CONDITIONER

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.0
Hardness (GH): 0
Alkalinity (KH): 0

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? YESTERDAY, BUT HE HAS BEEN UNHAPPY FOR A FEW DAYS
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? SPOTS ON HEAD, WHITE THIN LONG LINE UNDER CHIN, POOPING OUT YELLOW CRUST.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? NOT AS EXCITED, DOESN'T SEEM AS HAPPY ANYMORE -ALTHOUGH, HAS BEGAN MAKING BUBBLE NESTS AGAIN YESTERDAY.
Is your Betta still eating? I STARTED FASTING HIM YESTERDAY, BUT UP UNTIL THEN, YES.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? STARTED FASTING HIM AS OF YESTERDAY.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? NOT THAT I KNOW OF.
How long have you owned your Betta? 7 MONTHS
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? NOT THAT I KNOW OF.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for responding.
The little yellow crust fell out of his bum yesterday. But his face is still full of those spots.
I have gone ahead and filled out the form below:

Hope someone can help. Thanks again

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5 GALLON
Does it have a filter? YES
Does it have a heater? YES
What temperature is your tank? AROUND 80F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? NO
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? NO

Food:
What food brand do you use? NUTRAFIN BUG BITES (GRANULES), NORTHFIN BETTA BITS (PELLETS), ZOO-MED BETTA DIAL-A-TREAT (FREEZE-DRIED)
Do you feed flakes or pellets? YES
Freeze-dried? YES
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 1X A DAY APPROX. 2-4 PELLETS

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? 1X A WEEK
What percentage of water did you change? APPROX. 30-40%
What is the source of your water? FRESH TAP WATER
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? VACUUM
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? NUTRAFIN WATER CONDITIONER

Water Parameters:

Ammonia:
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.0
Hardness (GH): 0
Alkalinity (KH): 0

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? YESTERDAY, BUT HE HAS BEEN UNHAPPY FOR A FEW DAYS
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? SPOTS ON HEAD, WHITE THIN LONG LINE UNDER CHIN, POOPING OUT YELLOW CRUST.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? NOT AS EXCITED, DOESN'T SEEM AS HAPPY ANYMORE -ALTHOUGH, HAS BEGAN MAKING BUBBLE NESTS AGAIN YESTERDAY.
Is your Betta still eating? I STARTED FASTING HIM YESTERDAY, BUT UP UNTIL THEN, YES.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? STARTED FASTING HIM AS OF YESTERDAY.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? NOT THAT I KNOW OF.
How long have you owned your Betta? 7 MONTHS
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? NOT THAT I KNOW OF.

·
Super Moderator
2,729 Posts
Hi, can you get a picture of the worms or describe them. Small, white, flat, spear shaped head ... etc?

The yellow poop is not familiar to me (poop will be the color of what they are eating) but from reading it seems it can be signs of a digestive tract issue.

Let's start with a water change in his tank, some Indian Almond Leaves or a Rooibos teabag and some plain, unscented Epsom salt at 1 tsp per gallon. Feed him as you would normally. I don't want to start him on any kind of meds without a better understanding of what's going on with him.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi, can you get a picture of the worms or describe them. Small, white, flat, spear shaped head ... etc?

The yellow poop is not familiar to me (poop will be the color of what they are eating) but from reading it seems it can be signs of a digestive tract issue.

Let's start with a water change in his tank, some Indian Almond Leaves or a Rooibos teabag and some plain, unscented Epsom salt at 1 tsp per gallon. Feed him as you would normally. I don't want to start him on any kind of meds without a better understanding of what's going on with him.
Hi, thank you so much for your reply I really appreciate any help I can get.

I originally had my Betta in the Fluval Chi 5 gallon and my little guy LOVED his home for around 6 months until one day I noticed the worms all over the tank walls and he appeared extremely sick so I had to get him out of there immediately. He seemed to have swim bladder disease. His belly was massive and white and he wasn't eating or moving. I thought the worms had something to do with it.
I was panicking and had to act fast so I put my little guy in a bowl on the side with his heater and kept the bowl very clean (not the most ideal but it's all I had at the moment). I left him in there for a few days and fasted him until he would poop. I never noticed any poop, but in the few days he was in the bowl he started to recover and was moving and swimming again. As a couple days went by and he wasn't pooping I tried the boiling frozen pea method but he wasn't having it. He is an extremely picky eater and doesn't like much.
In the meantime, when I had him in the fish bowl recovering, I thoroughly deep cleaned everything in his tank with boiling water and some vinegar, down to every single individual gravel pebble. I rinsed everything about 7-10 times, let it all dry and rinsed some more. I really wanted to make sure the worms were gone for good.
I reset up the whole tank and let it cycle for a few days before putting him back in and when it was ready I returned my Betta back home and he was happier than ever.
A few short weeks after all of that work, I noticed the little microscopic worms filling the tank walls again and I was in disbelief - I thought maybe there was something wrong with my tank or the filter or something, because all of these worms should not be surfacing.
I read that its normal to have worms living in the rocks or gravel at the bottom of fish tanks, but it is definitely not normal to have them filling up the tank walls plus, there was hardly ever any debris at the bottom of m tank as my Betta hardly pooped or left food behind.
So I went out and purchased a new Marina 5 gallon tank with filter and heater and set that up to be a proper hospital tank.
I had to get my little guy out of his tank immediately before he got sick from the worms again- as I thought was the original case, and I moved him into the hospital tank as soon as it was ready. (It is the one in the photo I have attached above.)
This time I didn't put any pebbles at the bottom because I wanted to be able to see and monitor everything going on in there.
And to my surprise again, him being in his new hospital tank for a few days, the little worms showed up again. (Not as many this time.)
Now I started to think that maybe my fish has a parasite and the worms are coming out of him? I don't know what to do or how to treat him, but like i said, he has those new spots that appeared on his head, and under his chin he has long thin white things attached to him.

The worms are TINY. So small I didn't even think they were worms until his original tank walls were infested with them one day. **This isn't my photo, but they looked like this only smaller.

I did a partial water change last night to suck up whatever was on the bottom of the tank- also the yellow crusty thing fell out of him so I wanted to suck that up too.
Today is day 2 that I am fasting him. I am not sure if I should started feeding him again or not.

Hope someone could please help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well I unfortunately can not be the bearer of good news when it comes to aquarium worms. I had a 10g glass one that out of nowhere got both detritus & planarian worms. I, like you I thought I was keeping the tank pristine, not over feeding & could not figure out how the INFESTATION happened or continued. I did everything I could that was considered "SAFE" to rid them of my tank. In desperation, NOT for one minute believing it would work, I went to PetSmart & bought 3 tiny Cory Catfish. PROBLEM SOLVED!!! I did not loose any fish, but ended up w/a whole new problem. The Cory Catfish mated & multiplied like rabbits. I think the worms they totally annihilated were "SUPER ALIEN WORMS". Long story short I raised & rehomed ALL the Cory Catfish & THREW THAT TANK OUT!!! My experience & those of others I have read is that once you have any worm there is NO getting rid of them. I was lucky I did not have any fish in the tank when the worms appeared just Mystery snails until I was advised to try the Cory Catfish. So I did not loose any lives. Obviously worms are a VERY healthy food for Cory Catfish!!!
All I can say is good luck I truly believe you're trying everything. I know how much I love my current betta AnnaLeigh & would be terribly upset to loose her or even see her sick. I hope you can save your little betta. Please keep us posted.:(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I unfortunately can not be the bearer of good news when it comes to aquarium worms. I had a 10g glass one that out of nowhere got both detritus & planarian worms. I, like you I thought I was keeping the tank pristine, not over feeding & could not figure out how the INFESTATION happened or continued. I did everything I could that was considered "SAFE" to rid them of my tank. In desperation, NOT for one minute believing it would work, I went to PetSmart & bought 3 tiny Cory Catfish. PROBLEM SOLVED!!! I did not loose any fish, but ended up w/a whole new problem. The Cory Catfish mated & multiplied like rabbits. I think the worms they totally annihilated were "SUPER ALIEN WORMS". Long story short I raised & rehomed ALL the Cory Catfish & THREW THAT TANK OUT!!! My experience & those of others I have read is that once you have any worm there is NO getting rid of them. I was lucky I did not have any fish in the tank when the worms appeared just Mystery snails until I was advised to try the Cory Catfish. So I did not loose any lives. Obviously worms are a VERY healthy food for Cory Catfish!!!
All I can say is good luck I truly believe you're trying everything. I know how much I love my current betta AnnaLeigh & would be terribly upset to loose her or even see her sick. I hope you can save your little betta. Please keep us posted.:(
Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. The worms aren't so bad in his new "hospital tank" that he is currently living in. It was just all the spots on his head that were worrying me and the little white things attached underneath his face. I'm worried he has a parasite. Do you have any idea what it could maybe be?

·
Super Moderator
2,729 Posts
The white worms are either detritus worms or planaria, I would have to see a closeup of their head to determine. Neither are really a danger to an adult betta but the planaria may be if the fish is extremely ill and mostly immobile on the floor (which it doesn't appear that your fish is experiencing).
Keep the tank clean, follow the previous recommendations (use the Epsom salt for 10 days max) and let me know if API General Cure is available in Canada.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts