Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Last week I bought my first betta fish and am now addicted so on Saturday I bought two more! However one is sick. My albino elephant ear just lays on his side at the bottom of his bowl. I saw he did this in the pet store and felt sorry for him. I have researched it online and have read it could be Swim Bladder Disease. I was wondering if anyone has dealt with it and has any tips. I read all about not feeding him for a couple of days (which he didn't and still won't), giving him a pea (didn't eat it) and also if that doesn't work, epsom salt. After the epsom salt I gave him, the next day I found him in his plant. I have done everything. I even bought Daphnia and he won't eat that either. I am desperate and don't know what else I can do! Should I give him another epsom salt bath (gave him the first one yesterday). I brought him home on Saturday and it is now Wednesday night and he hasn't eaten a thing! I want him to live a healthy life. He just lays on the bottom on his side :-( Please help me!!!!!!
-He is in a small tank, not even a gallon, with just a plastic plant. (I read not to have gravel since he's sick and should check for poop).
-It has no filter or heater (water is 72-74 degrees).
-no air stone but will be buying live plants in a couple of days
-no tank mates
- got him like this from the pet store so I have no idea how long he's been like this
- I did one water change, full water change because I wanted to get the left over food he didn't eat out and be able to see if he eats any new food I give him
-water is tap but conditioned
- no idea about water parameters but I will say I have two other betta's and they are perfectly healthy

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok I will buy a heater tomorrow. I read they shouldn't have a filter because they are used to still water?

I will try to add the sticky but I'm new and not sure I understand how to do it! That's why I put all his info in the message. I'll try though!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Housing:

How many gallons is your tank? .5 (getting bigger tomorrow)
Does it have a filter? no
Does it have a heater? no (it's arriving tomorrow)
What temperature is your tank? 72-74F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No (getting live plants tomorrow)
Does your Betta have tank mates? no

Food:

What food brand do you use? Aqueon
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets, also tried Daphnia
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? I try to feed him everyday, not eating

Maintenance:

Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Only had him for 5 days, only did one change
What percentage of water did you change? all
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? no
What additives do you use? Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus for the water change, Top Fin Betta water conditioner when he first arrived

Water Parameters:

Ammonia: idk
Nitrite: idk
Nitrate: idk
pH: idk
Hardness (GH): idk
Alkalinity (KH): idk
Chlorine & Chloramine: idk

Symptoms and Treatment:

When did you first notice the symptoms? 3/5/16 (when I brought him home)
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? no change same as when I got him
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? see above
Is your Betta still eating? No.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Yes. I didn't feed him for 2 days , then gave him the inside of a pea. Then an epsom salt bath. Then some Daphnia. Nothing has helped. Don't know how many baths to give

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Only had him for 5 days, only did one change
With a tank that small you should be doing 50% daily water changes combined with 1 or 2 drops of Seachem Prime.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I don't use Prime but that's because I use prepared fish water (eLive) which has no contaminents in it so I am only treating the toxins created by the fish.

I use Easy Life and Kordon Amquel when parameters say I need it.
It was always Kordon for me until Nick turned me on to the Easy Life and now I am a Lifer.

http://amzn.com/B004HSSUYY

https://youtu.be/TdPyXASZliI?list=PLbMdSz_YcK9efF9XpYf98T_XbOPYylh5v

I believe Prime is more effective in tanks with Chlorinated water than Easy Life is, unless you have a planted tank and then I'd recommend the Easy Life.

Easy Life gets the chlorine too but you need to let it sit for a few hours.

Unless you are monitoring your parameters and very confident ammonia is under control and not harming your fish, use Prime by Seachem two drops per gallon per day and with your water changes. Most LFS carry it. In terms of the non-natural detox products, it is the most effective and that is why most in the forum are using it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Housing:

Does it have a filter? no
Does it have a heater? no (it's arriving tomorrow)
What temperature is your tank? 72-74F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No (getting live plants tomorrow)
Does your Betta have tank mates? no

Food:

What food brand do you use? Aqueon
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets, also tried Daphnia
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? I try to feed him everyday, not eating

Maintenance:

What percentage of water did you change? all
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? no
What additives do you use? Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus for the water change, Top Fin Betta water conditioner when he first arrived

Water Parameters:

Ammonia: idk
Nitrite: idk
Nitrate: idk
pH: idk
Hardness (GH): idk
Alkalinity (KH): idk
Chlorine & Chloramine: idk

Symptoms and Treatment:

When did you first notice the symptoms? 3/5/16 (when I brought him home)
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? no change same as when I got him
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? see above
Is your Betta still eating? No.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Yes. I didn't feed him for 2 days , then gave him the inside of a pea. Then an epsom salt bath. Then some Daphnia. Nothing has helped. Don't know how many baths to give

first:

the food is NOT good, try some omega one!

try to feed it newborn brine shrimps? live food? fruit flies!

and u HAVE to know the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in order to keep fish!

invest a good api master kit!;-)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Okay along with the other things suggested here, you need to get a heater. Your tank water needs to be up at 78 so increase that *gradually* and warm things up in there.

Your main problems are likely: Ammonia and Cold Water

Get a heater with an adjustable temp knob on it rather than the preset temp type so that you can have a say in the temperature of your bowl.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I would also suggest you get a Seachem Ammonia Alert tag.

Ammonia Alert™ is an innovative color device for continuously detecting and monitoring toxic free ammonia. A sensor changes reversibly from yellow to green to blue, relative to the ammonia concentration. No test kits, chemicals, or procedures are needed. The device detects less than 0.05 mg/L (ppm) free ammonia and alerts you to the #1 killer before any sign of stress. It lasts over a year. Marine or freshwater use.
In the absence of free ammonia the unit will assume a yellow or faint yellow-green color. It is normal for the dry sensor to have a greenish hue. It may take up to a few days for a dry sensor to equilibrate with the water. No sampling of water, chemicals, or test procedures are required. The presence of the free ammonia is detectable continuously with a response time of about 15 minutes. Response to decreasing ammonia is slower, requiring about 4 hours to go from TOXIC to SAFE on removal of ammonia.
Seachem. Ammonia Alert

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
ok thanks for the info! I have a heater arriving today and am heading to Petsmart now for everything else. He's not looking good at all today. I just hope he's still alive by the time I get this all straightened out today :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts