Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! I'm really in a bind right now. About a week and a half ago, I noticed that my betta had a few white spots on his head/upper body. Although he was still eating and not rubbing against plants, etc. I decided to go ahead and treat him for ich. I did a complete tank change-- I even added new substrate, as I was not satisfied with my last one. Per the advice of many people online, I added 1/2 a teaspon of AQ salt per gallon and raised his temperature to 85 degrees Fahrenheit. A few hours later, at feeding time, I checked on him and he's just sitting in the upper right corner of his tank. Usually when I go up to his tank he immediately swims over and is excited to see me, but even when I nudge the tank he hardly moves. He did eat a bloodworm, and a few pellets as well, but he's still in the same corner and very lethargic. What do I do? Should I cycle the salt out?

I should also add that the corner he is in is the one that he typically blows his bubble nest in. Maybe I'm just worrying for no reason because with the new plants in his tank, I can see him in his corner better, whereas before I couldn't. Maybe this is typical of him and I just didn't know?

Please help!!

((Also, his tank mate the mystery snail I moved into a separate tank for the time being, as salt can be harmful to snails))

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 2.5 gallons
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 85 F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Yes, mystery snail

Food:
What food brand do you use? Hikari Bio Gold
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? Occasional bloodworms
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 2x day, 5 pellets

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Weekly/Biweekly
What percentage of water did you change? 100%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use? Standard water conditioner

Water Parameters: (Just changed tank, have not tested)

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? A week and a half ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Small white dots, white underbelly
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Since adding salt, lethargic
Is your Betta still eating? Yes, but not as voraciously
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? 1/2 teaspon of AQ salt and raised temp
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Has had ich before
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? 6 months, was not sick at time of purchase

·
Registered
35 Posts
Please add a photo of your Betta if you can it will help a lot, 1/2 teaspoon per gallon wouldn't harm your Betta or your mystery snail.
5 pellets a day is a lot for your Betta, let alone the 10 a day you are currently feeding him!
A Betta should only have as many pellets that equal the size of his eye.

Please add a photo or two so we can better assess the white spots.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts