Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 30L- so about 8 gallons.
Does it have a filter? Yes.
Does it have a heater? Yes.
What temperature is your tank? 24 degrees Celsius.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No, besides the filter.
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Live plant attached to driftwood bought at aquarium as well as another live plant.

Food:
What food brand do you use? Betta Bio-Gold Pellets by Hikari Tropical.
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets.
Freeze-dried? No.
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Twice daily, with each feed consisting of about 5-7 pellets.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? At least every week.
What percentage of water did you change? 60-80%, depending on how much comes up with the substrate.
What is the source of your water? Tap.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum out substrate.
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Am-Safe Tap Water Conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Ammonia: <0.02
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7 (fresh water)
Hardness (GH): 30
Alkalinity (KH): 40

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Over the past two weeks.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? His originally clear fins have turned black at the ends, and his entire body has become generally darker and bluer.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? It hasn't! He is still incredibly vivacious and curious.
Is your Betta still eating? Yes.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No.
How long have you owned your Betta? A month.
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No, but he came from an aquarium that was storing him in a tiny jar surrounded by other jars of bettas.

Hello! I purchased my fish Salvador a month ago. When I bought him he was mostly white with mostly clears fins and red and blue marbling (as seen on the left side of the photo). Over the past two weeks he has darkened considerably, with his body turning dark blue and his fins becoming predominantly dark blue with black tips. His face is also now slightly mottled with black spots (as he looks on the right side of the photo). The black tips are a cause of concern for me. His fins are still completely intact and he is an incredibly energetic, happy fish, and he swims eagerly to the top at feeding time. I have read about marbled bettas changing their colouration over time, but I've also read about fin rot and other betta illnesses that could result in darkened fins.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
18,386 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! :wave:

Good news is you can relax.....Your beautiful Salvador is not sick. He is a marble Betta and is changing colors.

Great care you are taking of him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts