Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Yes
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What temperature is your tank?
79° F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No but I have some Marimo moss balls
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?
No

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Fluval Bug Bites and Omega One freeze dried blood worms
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Flakes
Freeze-dried?
Yes
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?
Usually twice a day, a few flakes or blood worms. Sometimes I skip a meal in either the morning or night to avoid constipation.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
Once a week
What percentage of water did you change?
Between 10-25%
What is the source of your water?
Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
I have a Hydro change technology built into the tank so it just suctions out the water of the top.

What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner?
I have API Stress Coat +, API Aquarium Salt and API Ammo Lock

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
.50ppm ( But I have used Ammo Lock to try and help render them harmless in meantime.)
Nitrite:
0ppm
Nitrate:
0ppm
pH:
Hardness (GH):
not sure. the master test kit didn't include that.
Alkalinity (KH):
not sure. the master test kit didn't include that.

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
About a week ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
There is either white patches or loss of color that has seemed to spread from under his mouth to around his gills. Looks like either loss of color over his gills or the color has changed. He first had one cloudy eye when it started, now both of them seem to be cloudy and a bit bigger than normal. His fins seem fine but are I suppose clamped.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
For past week he has acted just fine. He was eating well, swimming around tank normally. Just today I noticed that he is swimming in circles. I do not see any issues getting around the tank as if he was lopsided or having trouble getting to top or bottom. He still has an appetite.
Is your Betta still eating?
Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Yes. I first used API Fin & Body Cure, did full treatment and followed instructions giving 25% water changes in between doses. I removed the carbon media as instructed. I saw no changes, and if anything it looked like he might of gotten worse. So I read and thought it might be fungal related. So now he is on his first dose of API Fungal Cure after doing a 50% water change, I also added the appropriate dosage of API Aquarium Salt. Tomorrow would be his second dose where I would do another 50% water change. Still no carbon filter so the water is green.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
I have only had him for less than a month. When I first got him he seemed well and had no issues. I did question the quality of the tips of his fins as I am new to having a Betta but his fins never got worse and he seemed fine and happy. It could of been nothing and could of been from biting or scraping on decor.
How long have you owned your Betta?
I purchased him as I assume a young adult, since 05/23/2020.
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?
To my knowledge he seemed fine when I purchased him. Could of had minor tail rot or biting but after having him in tank for a week or so I saw no further damage or issues, he seemed happy and was eating well.

Attachments

·
Registered
Flash
409 Posts
Hi,

Is your tank cycled? If not, then that may be an issue. You can read some articles about the nitrogen cycle, and you will see that having a cycled tank is very important for the health of your fish. If you haven't cycled your tank, then you are doing a fish-in cycle, even if you didn't know it!

I have never used ammo lock before, but Prime water conditioner by Seachem is the best that I have ever found. It actually will actually detoxify the ammonia and nitrates that build up in the water. If you are truly doing a fish-in cycle, I would say that this is a must.

His fins are clamped, and it looks like he has cloudy eye. I have only seen pictures of this; I don't have experience with it myself. I would recommend that you might do larger water changes. If you are only changing the water from the top of the tank, then you are not getting the bad stuff out that is on the bottom of the tank. The uneaten food and the feces will really cause ammonia levels to rise. That's why having a gravel vac is important. This may be what's affecting your water quality, which will cause stress and illness for the fish. When bettas are stressed, they will also tend to lose their color. From what I can see, I think that is what is happening to your guy.

If you can, I would also advise that you invest in some Indian almond leaves. When you put them in the tank, they will turn the water a bit brown, but that is ok. These leaves release tannins into the water, and tannins promote health and help fish be less stressed. Tannins help fins and any sores on the outside of the fish's body heal. If you don't see a change with his eyes, you might need an antibiotic. But I think I would try working on the water quality first before I started dosing with another type of medicine.

I hope this helps!!!

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
I agree to take care of water first and to use SeaChem Prime. Fish-in cycling is perfectly safe if you do it properly. Here is this Forum's tutorial. It requires the use of Prime.

If you can't get Indian Almond Leaves buy plain Rooibos Tea. Both have antifungal and antibacterial properties. Make a strong "tea" and add to the tank until it is tinted brown. In addition, leave a leaf or tea bag in the tank.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies. Unfortunately he did not make it. By this morning he was completely lethargic and refused to eat and when I came home in late afternoon he had passed. I feel horrible like I did something wrong. I tried my best to research everything. I did though, while I was out today, pick up some sea chem prime.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts