Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my betta, Paradise seems to have a mysterious pimple-looking growth on top of his left eye and his tail looks as if there is a strange white clump on it. Is it a fungus" I noticed about a week or so ago that he was incredible pale, and just lying at the bottom of the tank. I thought he was dead. He is still swimming away from me when I try to put him in a cup so I can clean the water. Please help, i am attaching a picture of him, he's in a cup so I could change the water in his tank. I am about to use a Lifeguard all-in-one tablet in his tank to hopefully eradicate whatever is causing his illness. I don't think its pop eye because its not his whole eye, but I am not an expert. Please help!!!!

Havent tested water parameters after 100% water change, in a hurry to figure this out.

How many gallons is your tank? 5.5
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? no

Food:
What food brand do you use? top fit betta bits, zoomed betta floating pellets
Do you feed flakes or pellets? pellets
Freeze-dried? no
How often do you feed your Betta? once a day How much? 3 pellets

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? once a month
What percentage of water did you change? 100%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? marbles, take out rinse off put back in.
What additives do you use?
Betta bowl, safe start, ammonia remover, ph balance, stress coat

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? About a week or so ago.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Has gotten pale, fins are not full.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He is sitting at the bottom of the tank and literally looks dead. However, he is still resisting capture when I try to put him in a cup which I believe is a good sign.
Is your Betta still eating? Not really
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? I drained the water and filled it about 3 inches or so up so he could get to the surface easier and added a bit of betta fix, now I have poured all of that out, filled up the 5.5 gallon and am adding a lifeguard all in one table to the tank.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? About 2 years
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have no idea about the eye problem. I would have guessed he injured it somehow causing the localized swelling. An injury could have led to an infection causing the symptoms you're seeing but it would be impossible to say for sure.

Given his age and an uncertain diagnosis, I would be doing the basics and trying not to stress him out. Frequent water changes to help remove infected water, high water temp, and I would leave him in the tank and clean around him instead of stressing him out by cupping him. I might try encouraging him to eat by changing up his food sometimes - PetCo has brine and mysis shrimp cubes on sale this week, for instance. And I would give him someplace to rest near the top of the tank. Maybe keep the light down, too, or blanket his tank if he's in a busy area.

I wish I had more specific advice to give.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts