Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somehow she jumped out of a tiny gap in her tank lid, dropped about three feet, and landed on the carpet. We found her about three minutes after we heard the strange noise that alerted us (we searched her tank first). We had heard a strange noise first, about 10 minutes prior (her trying to jump out a first time?)... We added slime-coat and stress-zyme to the water, and lowered her water level... Is there anything else we can do? -_-;

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
She has what looks like pulled up scales on her head... Possibly tore her top fin a bit.. And she's not really moving one of her side fins. She's clamped to hell, but she's still flitting one of her side fins... The other one, she can move, but isn't really... She's just holding it against her body. We're taking a water sample now...

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
ive heard of betta surviving over 15 minutes on the carpet. if she wasn't to dried out she should recover. these are tough fish. your add of stress coat and stress zyme is perfect. She should be recovered in a couple days wow that must have scared you! You really are doing all you can. keep the tank dark for awhile it lowers stress. Let me know how it goes, good luck xnoodle. cheering for tina!!

Somehow she jumped out of a tiny gap in her tank lid, dropped about three feet, and landed on the carpet. We found her about three minutes after we heard the strange noise that alerted us (we searched her tank first). We had heard a strange noise first, about 10 minutes prior (her trying to jump out a first time?)... We added slime-coat and stress-zyme to the water, and lowered her water level... Is there anything else we can do? -_-;

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just hope her injuries, as I put in my second post, aren't too serious... -_-;
And yeah my heart almost stopped when I realized she literally wasn't in the tank.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Yeah you wont know the extent of the injuries for a day or two likely. At least it wasn't too long on the floor and it was carpet not hard wood. however she may have torn fins and scales while flopping on the carpet. Hopefully just minor wounds and a full recovery for her.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
she may have hit her head or fin on either the cabinet her tank is on or a couple things on the floor next to where we found her (we heard a thunk noise)... She's moving her side fin a bit more, and she's a little less clamped. Her top fin is definitely torn up a bit. And she seems a little dazed. :p Can fish get concussions? Water tests came back fine.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
The fact she is moving the fin at all is good as no major structural damage is likely if its moving. She is also in a state of shock that should wear off. So glad you heard the noise.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No kidding. Pays to stay up late I suppose. We covered her tank a bit more (making sure she still has plenty of air flow) just in case she tries to act out a scene from Top Gun again. >_<

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Sorry to hear about Tina. I've seen other people's fish survive this. Hopefully she will eating out of your hand in no time. I bought tulle netting like this:
http://www.metroparent.com/Blogs/Ma...r-Jar-Crafts/BugNetandNatureCatcherCrafts.jpg

I put it over the top of my tank. I still have a partial cover plus a light but my tank is planted and the condensation was blocking out light so I use this stuff to make sure they stay put. I have not gotten around to it yet but I plan to take some elasticized string and thread it through the tulle so it snugly goes around sides.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Yeah, I've had two fish survive from jumping, only one didn't but he was out for about an hour or so. She should be fine.

I use Saranwrap or some sort of cellophane wrap to cover holes, helps to keep heat in as well :)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She ate this morning and is swimming with her bummed fin. Still seems in shock though, and she's quite pale for such a vibrant fishie.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Yeah, she'll be like that for a few day's. It takes a while for it to wear off. Just think about how you'd feel if you feel from the equal distance that she did....well actually, you probably wouldn't be alive >.< nvm >.< but either way! it could take her a week or so to fully get her color back but she will :)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I sure hope so! <3

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
-sigh- Looks like we're not out of the woods yet... She was pretty unresponsive this morning when I got up, and she won't eat at all... Bloody hell...

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Well this is not good. There is a possibility she has internal injury. This would be difficult and far beyond my realm to advise. It also could be the stress and fin injury has upset the internal balance of bacteria. I would do a 50% water change with 1 tsp Epson salt per gallon, add an almond leaf and keep her tank dark. Wish I had better advise my friend. Hopefully someone here can help more.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Her side fin is fine now. But she's still super chubby. We did a water change the day it happened, so I don't know if another one would just stress he rout more. >_< I'll add some epsom salts, though her tank is already tanned, has a leaf, and is quite dark. Oh and I managed to get her to eat. Just took about 10 minutes.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
I'm really sorry noodle :-( All I can suggest is to keep her a comfortable as possible. So if you can, keep her in a dark area or turn the lights off a little earlier today and cover the tank with a towel so it's pitch black, this will calm her down and just gently open it in the morning so as not to frighten her. Hopefully it's just stress :-/

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bloody hell... I think she jumped because she was fighting the current from her useless german filter. She's so chubby that she panicked and launched towards the surface.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
There's many reasons they jump out though, you really can't pin point it to one solid reason without being able to mind meld with her or something :-/ Either way, there's no point in fretting about why she jumped, just seal up her top and focus on her getting better.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Keeping wild bettas I have had a lot of experience with jumping fish. Bettas are pretty resilient. I have had fish fall from the top shelf of my rack onto the bottom shelf, flop onto the floor and suffer me pulling them across the carpet with a net because I can't reach back there and they have been none the worse for wear after a couple of days of recovery.

I find pectoral injuries are pretty common when they jump. A lot of mine end up with torn or damaged pectorals and seem reluctant to use them for a day or two.

Bettas jump because it is in their nature to jump. I have fish jump for no reason I can discern.

Hopefully she just needs a few more days to recover fully.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts