Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our betta Kanye has a large white bump on his chin and is starting to have a hard time breathing. At first, we through it was Ich and treated him by elevating his water temperature (gradually) and putting the appropriate dose (half a packet) of Fungus Cure by API in his water, waited 2 days, did another dose, waited two days, and did a 25% water change. Half way through, just before the water change, my wife says she saw some white worm looking thing come off his chin (which at the time was a small white spot/bump) and forehead. He still isn't eating though and he's acting more and more lethargic and we're worried sick. Tonight I took the filter back out and started another dose of the Fungus Cure because he was acting more like himself a couple days ago. We just don't know what else to try.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 85 (though we recently slowly elevated it to 88)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No, but the pump provides a lot of circulation
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No, he's a loner fish

Food:
What food brand do you use? Mostly Aqueon Betta Food pellets, occasionally Hikari brine shrimp (just got this, I don't think he's actually eaten any yet)
Do you feed flakes or pellets? mostly pellets, the brine shrimp is flakes
Freeze-dried? the shrimp is
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 1-2 times a day, 5 or so pellets

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? once a month
What percentage of water did you change? 70-80%
What is the source of your water? tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? vaccumed substrate
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Prime be SeaChem

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: no idea, we don't know how to test this
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 2 weeks ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? he has a white spot on his chin that has become a larger sore looking white spot, his skin is starting to look a bit grey-ish.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He's stopped eating and is lethargic, mostly hides on the bottom in a cave I built for him or swims to the surface occasionally for air
Is your Betta still eating? no
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? yes, we followed the instructions on Fungus Cure by API, which, for our 5 gallon tank, is half a packet for 48 hours with the filter out, then the other half packet, then a 25% water change, and repeat if needed.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 18 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS
About a week ago:

Tonight:

·
Super Moderator
2,362 Posts
Hi, sorry the little one isn't feeling well.
It looks like he's gotten either a tumor or cyst on his chin. As long as he's swimming, let's start mild and see how he progresses before trying harsher medications.

You can stop the fungus cure.
Bring the temperature back to around the 80 degree range.
Start with more frequent water changes, I would like to see them twice a week while he's sick, once a week for regular maintenance.
Start him on a round of API General Cure.
Start him on a 10 day treatment with plain, unscented Epsom salt at 1 tsp / gallon. (mix with water and then add to his tank)
You can get your water tested at any pet store, just ask them for numbers instead of a good or no good, or you can buy an API Master Test kit and test yourself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have BettaFix from API, can we use that instead? It looks like the General Cure is a few days out.

·
Super Moderator
2,362 Posts
If wouldn't use the BettaFix as a replacement for the General Cure. If you have the BettaFix and have to wait on the General Cure, you could start a round of it before the General Cure, it may give him some relief.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We've started Kanye on API General Cure and had our water tested. The pet store lady told me "nitrates are a bit high, but everything else looks perfect" - this is water prior to our last water change, and my wife had just vacuumed up some "gunk" on the bottom of the tank previously. He was moving around a bit more last night, but has been alarmingly still this morning. Thanks for the help, please advise if there are other measures we should take. We plan to start the salt later this afternoon, before adding the other half packet of GC tomorrow evening.

·
Super Moderator
2,362 Posts
Next time you have them test your water, ask them if they can give you the numbers.
Keep with the General Cure and see how he progresses after a round. We can then assess if he needs a second round of treatment with the GC.

He needs clean, fresh water most of all, the meds help give him a bit of a boost.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After we lowered the water temperature and started the medicine he ate a little, but mostly he sits in a little rock cave we built for him. He's moved his moss balls to cover the front of the cave to make it more private. Saw him coming up for air occasionally, but he's still not doing well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We're doing both the General Cure and the salt along with 20% water changes. We're worried he's not getting better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How did the water get unhealthy? We haven't introduced anything new into his tank in the past 6 months, and have been doing regular water changes with tap water (prepped with Prime by Seachem). Could it have been the food pellets that introduced the parasites, or are these buggers in our drinking water?

·
Super Moderator
18,320 Posts
Sorry you boy passed away.

To answer #12: Water may look clean but without adequate water changes Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates can build to a harmful level. Also, water changes refresh the minerals that fish need to be healthy. In a five gallon, I change 50% 1 x per week.

Most pet stores will test water for free. Or you could buy an API Master Test Kit which measures Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates and pH. The initial investment is higher than for strips but you get hundreds of tests as opposed to a few. Ammonia test strips, alone, are around $15 for 25 tests. Might find the kit cheaper somewhere else.

·
Super Moderator
2,362 Posts
Hi,
I'm sorry you lost your little one and I apologize for the late posting, I never saw the notice that you posted.
There could be a myriad of reasons for his decline, @RussellTheShihTzu gave a cause and some good advice.
I do not know for sure that it was something short term that caused a problem, it could have been a long term underlying issue or even a genetic defect that he lived with all his life and finally caught up with him.

We tried to address the symptoms with the salt and get the at a potential bacterial / parasitic cause with the General Cure. The meds probably helped him perk up a little, but I estimate that the underlying cause had him too far gone to bring him back. I am sure that for the duration of his life, he appreciated the good home he had.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts