Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fish EJ has had clamped fins for the last 5 days, I recently moved him into a new 2.5 gallon tank from his half gallon (The clamped fins started when he was in the half gallon) I don't really see any other other symptoms but I will post some pictures soon.

Housing
What size is your tank? Recently upgraded 2.5 gallon from a half gallon. Will eventually upgrade to a 5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 82 f
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Nutrafin and Bettamin flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day with some days of fasting in between

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week in my half gallon, none yet in my 2.5
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrafin Betta plus water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No, don't have a kit yet (will bring water sample to pet store for testing)

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has clamped fins
How has your betta fish's behaviour changed? At first he wasn't eating. He now mostly sits at bottom of tank, hiding beside the rock bed, heater, or plant. He comes up for air periodically. Sometimes he darts around the tank for a bit then goes back down to his hiding spots.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? 5 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? At first I thought he ripped his tail so after looking online I did a 100% water change, I went out and got aquarium salt the next day, and did another %100 water change then added the salt. I later realized his fins were actually clamped from more research and figured he was stressed from either being cold or not having more room, so the next day I bought a mini heater and a 2.5 gallon tank plus a thermometer. I set out some water over night and filled the new tank, added salt, conditioner, and transferred EJ into his new home. He started exploring for a good while then took his place back at the bottom of the tank, moving to different spots, but he mostly stays by the rock bed usually with his head hidden. With some research I found out the aquarium salt can make stress worse so I'm gonna stop putting it in his water next time I do a change. Right now I'm trying the blackout method, I've put a towel over his tank for a day since I heard it will help him get adjusted to his new tank, took it off today and still the same.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure. I got him from a wedding where they had Betta fish centre pieces ( I know poor fishies), we got to take them home, so I brought home EJ. I've had him for 5 months (since August).

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Welcome. My 1st observation is more frequent water changes. I have a 2.5g & I do twice weekly water changes of 80-90%. If you have a good water conditioner you don't need to "age" the new water but some people still like to do so. Salt is not needed unless you are specifically treating for something. If your heater is adjustable you might try turning it down to 78F or 76F, some fish can be sensitive to the water temp. Those are my suggestion, somebody else may have something else to offer.

·
Registered
270 Posts
If he's gone from an unheated tank to one at 82 degrees, that will definitely be a shock for him.

I agree that lowering the temp (gradually!) to 76-78 would be a good idea. Keep his lights off and disturb him as little as possible for a couple of days (no need to worry about food - he'll be fine).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome. My 1st observation is more frequent water changes. I have a 2.5g & I do twice weekly water changes of 80-90%. If you have a good water conditioner you don't need to "age" the new water but some people still like to do so. Salt is not needed unless you are specifically treating for something. If your heater is adjustable you might try turning it down to 78F or 76F, some fish can be sensitive to the water temp. Those are my suggestion, somebody else may have something else to offer.
I was thinking that too. I read on yahoo answers that I should do 50% water changes daily for a while and get a sponge filter, I don't have a filter right now so do you think I will be ok to do them without one? Right now the heater is off cause it isn't adjustable and made the water get really warm gradually if left unchecked, I just left a heater on in my room to make it warmer since my room is chillier than most of the house due to poor air circulation. When I got the new tank and thermometer the water was actually at 78F already so yeah I'm thinking the water was fine without the heater or making my room warmer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If he's gone from an unheated tank to one at 82 degrees, that will definitely be a shock for him.

I agree that lowering the temp (gradually!) to 76-78 would be a good idea. Keep his lights off and disturb him as little as possible for a couple of days (no need to worry about food - he'll be fine).
Yeah I haven't been using the heater anymore since it isn't adjustable but I used a heater in my room so I'll stop doing that so it goes down. Right now I've closed the blinds in my room so it's darker and there's little to no noise noise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts