Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forum, and unfortunately it's a sad one. I have lurked on this site on and off for years, but never made an account because I never felt the need. I now need some information that I have been unable to find and I'm hoping you can provide it.

*I apologize for the novel, I've included a TL;DR at the end of the post.*

I have had my betta fish for about 3 years. Around Thanksgiving (late November) 2013, he suddenly stopping being able to float. He could swim to the top of the tank with a lot of effort, but if he stopped he would sink to the bottom. Thinking it was swim bladder related, I followed the instructions for curing that with aquarium salt. I made the water shallow so he could easily reach the surface and increased the amount of water changes.

It didn't work. Eventually I had to put him back into the cup I bought him in just so he could reach the surface. He doesn't swim, just sits on the bottom all day (the same way he did with the whole tank).

He has had trouble eating and it has recently gotten so that he can't physically eat because he can't get the food in his mouth. He tries, but misses and can't get it. I have been trying my best to make it as easy as possible, but to no avail. He has obviously become very skinny and lost a lot of color due to being unable to eat well for the past few months.

Today while trying to feed him I noticed that his scales were sticking out (pineconeing). To me this is the last straw. I don't know how he has survived this long, but I feel that he is suffering. I haven't put him down before now because I felt he was fighting so hard so he must want to live and I couldn't stomach the thought of putting him down when he tries so hard. However, after a lot of thought, I feel his suffering has become so great that I need to put him down.

This is where the question come. I need the best way to put him down. The kindest, least painful way possible. I don't want him to suffer, even in death. He has been such a good fish and I feel I have extended his misery long enough so I don't want his death to hurt. I wanted to wait until it happened naturally, but that seems impossible now.

TL;DR - My betta has been sick for a long time, and I need the kindest way to put him down.

Thank you so very much in advance. Especially if you read all of that huge block of text. I know this isn't the normal post on this board, but this was the best place I could think to put it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
You can put him to sleep with and then overdose him on clove oil, put a cup of water in the freezer until the top ices over and then break it and place him in or put him in a bag and hit him on concrete. I typically go with the frozen water method because clove oil is expensive and I can't stomach the last one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much. I have been trying to figure out the most painless way to do this.

I think I'll go with the freezing method. I don't think I'd be able to stomach the last way either.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
The frozen water is the most popular, the colder the better and make sure to get it really just about to freeze, stick him in via net, then sadly put that in the freezer for 10-15 min. He should go right into shock, sorry about him by the way

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.