Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My betta was fine a few days ago, she was swimming in and out of her skull a few hours ago like normal but suddenly she was on her side this morning at 7.

My dad came in from work and freaked out because she was acting strange and so he put her in my tank in my room. But now she won't move, at all.

He put her in a Quarantine bowl and put aloe in it, that's where she is now. The bowl has already been treated with epsom salt like our other tanks. But she's still on her side but then suddenly she'll get up and swim in circles in the direction of her tail.

She's only a few months old, we bought her from PetCo as a baby girl. She has never shown any signs of dropsy like her tank mates.

Please help, I love her a lot and she means so much to me.

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,999 Posts
Sorry your girl isn't doing well. If you could fill out the sticky at the top of this section: "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING....." and provide a photo that would help.

Without the above all anyone can do is guess. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
When you fill it out be sure to include any recent changes you may have done with water changes, adding of things, creatures to the tank.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
@ Helpers, Come on people its not that hard to copy the form in with your reply, Remember some people have a hard time using forums.

TevinterKaffas
Please fill out this form when seeking help for your Betta. This information and a clear photo posted directly into the thread will help us give you the most accurate advice possible. Without the information and photos the best we can do is guess.

Even if you're already answered many of the questions in text form you we ask you fill out the form so we will have a quick source of information.

And if you are answering a call for help please request this form be filled out. If you need more information ask in text; do not make any alterations to this form. If you have suggestions contact a Moderator.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue?

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS

NOTE: EMBED YOUR PHOTOS INSTEAD OF LINKING. Click on "Go Advanced" and then on the paper clip in the toolbar.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 1 gal in her Quaratine
Does it have a filter? No
Does it have a heater? No
What temperature is your tank? I don't really know
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No,not that I'm aware of
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? She has two feeder goldfish and an Emerald Catfish

Food:
What food brand do you use? Bettamin: Tropical Melody
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Both
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Once in the morning when my Dad comes home and once at night, just a pinch

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Routinely, especially when the tank looked bad
What percentage of water did you change? 50% or 75%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vaccum
What additives do you use? Aloe and Epsom Salt

Water Parameters: We don't know these either
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Ammonia: My dad doesn't actually have the tests for this so we don't actually know any of this
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? A few days ago but it only worsened a few hours ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? No, not really, she looks the same
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? She's not eating, and if she's bothered she'll swim in circles for a few seconds before laying back on the pebbles again.
Is your Betta still eating? No, not really
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? We put her in a quarantine tank, its been treating with Epsom salt, and my dad recently put Aloe in there
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No, she's never had anything wrong with here. Her old Betta tank mates all had dropsy before her but they've all been dead for awhile
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? I've owned her since December 12th, 2015, she was little and in better shape than the rest. She was perfectly fine and enjoyed her bigger tank

Here's a picture of her:

I'm sorry I don't know more, but I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Hi
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? She has two feeder goldfish and an Emerald Catfish
This could be a problem, How big is the tank your fish is in normally.

What temperature is your tank? I don't really know
You need a heater, The water temp should be 80 Deg.

Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Routinely, especially when the tank looked bad
At the least you should be doing weekly water changes, I need to know the tank size.

What additives do you use? Aloe and Epsom Salt
Stop using these. Aloe is no good for fish.

You need to get a bottle of Seachem Prime and treat the water with it to remove chlorine chloramineand help with ammonia.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She's normally in a 5 gallon with a heater, filter, and one bubbler. That's the only tank she's ever been in and never been removed from until recently.

We've only used the Salt and Aloe once, the Aloe is only in her Quarantine tank (the 1 gallon)

We treated the tanks with the Salt once a few weeks ago because our older bettas were getting dropsy and I read on a thread with someone's betta had dropsy and was told to do this only one time and it should help prevent it.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Ok we are getting somewhere. Personally I think your betta has ammonia poisoning because the tank is over stocked.

These are her tank mates? They have to go the tank is too small.

Do you have something like Seachem Prime?

Do a water change on her normal tank about 70%, Let it warm up to 80 and put your betta back in her tank, Being in an unheated tank is causing her more stress.
Do NOT use Aloe or Epsom salts in her 5 gal tank.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
We use BettaSafe:
Great use it.

Do a water change on the 5 gallon, and put your betta back in, as soon as you can rehouse the other 3 fish, Like in the next day or 2. You will need to get a water test kit and keep an eye on your water parameters especially ammonia and nitrite.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll be sure to tell my father, thank you so much for your help! She means a lot to me and your help will be put to great use! :-D

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
You are welcome.

Your fish is not out of danger yet. You will need to give her lots of clean treated water and NO tank mates or..............

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Update: She not any better. Her condition has gotten worse. She's in a tight ball, nose pressed against her tail and squirms like she's in pain. We've changed her water, removed the tank mates and tested the water, we even bought her a breeders net to make sure she stays close to the surface. When she squirms, she rolls herself on her head, belly up and has refused to eat anything, is it a parasite or possibly a goldfish hurt her?

Edit: her eyes are also bulged

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I have read that fish with ammonia and especially nitrate poisoning can become contorted. It's difficult to treat when it's at that stage. Methylene blue can treat it it does stain the aquarium. Since she is bad I would go ahead and put her in it all the time and and add 2 tsp of epsom salt. Before you do the full time treatment try her in a bath for 30 minutes to see if she suffers severr breathing distress. To keep her calmer and less stressed whether in a bath or in the aquarium cover the tank top with a towel and keep the light off if she has one. This will incline her to rest.

I cannot say if she has parasites but based on what you report the condition I am suggesting is a likely cause. If you cannot get methylene blue locally your next best best would be Betta Revive try two drops per gallon instead of one.
You may have to experiment in either case to see if she does not tolerate higher dose to see if you dilute the tank water if she does better with a weaker dose. You can try to increase it tommorow.

Some new pictures and a description of her scales (raised, flat) will give a better idea of her state and also tell us how her belly looks and her spine if she is not balled up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts