Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78ºF
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? New Life Spectrum
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Four pellets per day, split between two feedings

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of water did you change? 25%
What is the source of your water? The tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Prime

Water Parameters:
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite:0 ppm
Nitrate:0 ppm
pH:7.6

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? About a week ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Most of his dorsal fin is gone and the rest is black
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He is lethargic
Is your Betta still eating? Mostly
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? I have been dosing his tank daily with Seachem stress guard for a few months, because he is biting his fins
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Not that I know of
How long have you owned your Betta? About five months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
Looks like pretty severe fin rot that's just about to the body.

In addition to the StressGuard I've treated fin rot with Kanaplex, and Indian Almond Leaves. I used all 3 simultaneously, and had good success with it. If you try Kanaplex make sure you remove the carbon from your filter if you use it.

If you can post a picture of your tank we may be able to figure out if something in it is stressing him out and causing him to bite, or that he might have damaged his dorsal fin on.

I hope that your boy get's better!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never used Indian almond leaves before. Do you crumple them up or just stick them in the tank? How many should I put in my ten gallon?

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
I've never used Indian almond leaves before. Do you crumple them up or just stick them in the tank? How many should I put in my ten gallon?
You're welcome!

You just stick them in the tank whole and change them out every week or two. You can also boil them in some water treated with a water conditioner to make sort of a tea and pour that in the tank. I usually just drop them in the tank.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, if it does turn into body rot, what should I do? The KanaPlex and Indian almond leaves don't come until tomorrow (I had to order them online because my local pet store doesn't carry them) and I am worried that by the time they come, it might be too late.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I'm dealing with the same issue with a recuse of mine. After four days in clean water, Indian almond leaves, and now Kanaplex, my betta is looking so much better!

I hope your boy pulls through! he looks in better shape than mine! <3 <3

1 - 10 of 10 Posts