Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bought my first fish he is a betta. I bought him from pet smart please don’t come for me there are no local fish stores near here and I didn’t want to ship a fish. I went back to the pet smart the next day to get a different food for my betta and I noticed all the fish were in quarantine including the betta fish. I’m worried my fish picked something up from there. When I got him the first day he was super active and happy. By the second day he started to refuse food. By the third day he began to get lethargic and tended to sit at the bottom of the tank. On the fourth day I noticed he had developed red spots on his skin. Today those red spots have multiplied.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank: 10
Does it have a filter: yes
Does it have a heater: yes
What temperature is your tank: 79-81 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration: yea air stone
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind: no

Food:
What food brand do you use: fluval bug bites flakes, omega one freeze dried blood worms, aqueon betta food pellets, zoo med can o blood worms
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried: all
How often do you feed your Betta? How much: twice a day 3-4 pieces of whatever I am feeding him

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change: once a week
What percentage of water did you change: 25%
What is the source of your water: tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water: vacuum substrate
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner: seachem prime as conditioner and to deal with any ammonia spikes

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.
Picture of strip attached
Ammonia: 0-.25
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed: 4 days ago red spots all over body
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating: not eating lethargic sitting on the bottom of the tank
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill: I don’t know I have only had him for a little under a week
How long have you owned your Betta: 6 days
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased: I think so but unsure

he is currently in a hospital tank with seachem kanaplex becuase I suspect a bacterial or fungal infection but I’m unsure. If anyone has any advice to what he has or how to treat him it would be most appreciated. He is my first fish so this is all new to me. Also do I need to do a full water change in the tank I already soaked all the decorations and substance in hot water.

Attachments

·
Registered
779 Posts
I’m not an expert on health, so I’ll leave those things for someone who is more knowledgeable.

BUT, I do know that no one in this group would be upset with anyone who finds their betta at one of the big chain stores. I got all 3 of my boys at those types of stores and so did many others in the forum.
It also looks like you’ve given your boy a wonderful home with all the things he might need.
Hopefully someone will be able to give you some ideas of what might be going on with your finned friend.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just recently bought my first fish he is a betta. I bought him from pet smart please don’t come for me there are no local fish stores near here and I didn’t want to ship a fish. I went back to the pet smart the next day to get a different food for my betta and I noticed all the fish were in quarantine including the betta fish. I’m worried my fish picked something up from there. When I got him the first day he was super active and happy. By the second day he started to refuse food. By the third day he began to get lethargic and tended to sit at the bottom of the tank. On the fourth day I noticed he had developed red spots on his skin. Today those red spots have multiplied.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank: 10
Does it have a filter: yes
Does it have a heater: yes
What temperature is your tank: 79-81 degrees
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration: yea air stone
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind: no

Food:
What food brand do you use: fluval bug bites flakes, omega one freeze dried blood worms, aqueon betta food pellets, zoo med can o blood worms
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried: all
How often do you feed your Betta? How much: twice a day 3-4 pieces of whatever I am feeding him

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change: once a week
What percentage of water did you change: 25%
What is the source of your water: tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water: vacuum substrate
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner: seachem prime as conditioner and to deal with any ammonia spikes

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.
Picture of strip attached
Ammonia: 0-.25
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed: 4 days ago red spots all over body
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating: not eating lethargic sitting on the bottom of the tank
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill: I don’t know I have only had him for a little under a week
How long have you owned your Betta: 6 days
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased: I think so but unsure

he is currently in a hospital tank with seachem kanaplex becuase I suspect a bacterial or fungal infection but I’m unsure. If anyone has any advice to what he has or how to treat him it would be most appreciated. He is my first fish so this is all new to me. Also do I need to do a full water change in the tank I already soaked all the decorations and substance in hot water.
Must go to the vet. The red things means fungus munching your betta. If betta is down the tank, its normal. If its stressed (or losing color) that might mean its the reason dropping. If it is stressed, i recommend using a stress coat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts