Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When i did a water change today couldnt get Blaze in the net and had to change the water with him in the tank, just now hes been acting a bit crazy and flaring a lot and ive noticed his left gill seems to be open even when hes not flaring. What should i do im so worried about him. Please help

Thankyou

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
He's probably in shock and very angry because his territory was disturbed. Give him a few hours to settle down. As long as you took all precautions when doing the water change (same temp water, add water conditioner, etc) he'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
If you're confident you did everything by the book, he will be.
It's great that you worry about your fish and watch out for odd behavior.
But... Bettas can be huge drama queens. My water change system can't get any better for the setups I have and I still might get a bettas who's not in the mood that day and will lay on the ground for a while because of what I just did. I just think it's hilarious that they can be so grouchy sometimes.
Of course, never assume it's their personality first. Always watch out for odd behaviors and double check your water preparation, I've heard people using too cold water, forgetting to add water conditioning or be in doubt because they can't remember.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everything was fine during the water change apart from having to keep him in the tank, its the first time ive been unable to get him out have also checked the water amonia etc and its all ok. Am still concerned as the gill is still open he seems ok and has calmed down slightly but continuing to flare

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Did you check the temp of the new water to make sure it was the same as the tank water?
How long did the tank go between water changes?

The gill being open is most likely a result from shock and something that he didn't agree with.. go ahead and watch him to see how he does over the next few days- check his breathing and his color, food intake. If anything you can place him in a QT tank (or his home.. depending upon size/cycle/filter/live plants).. and use 1 tsp of AQ salt per gallon, daily 100% water changes for a few days to keep the mucus on his gills in order.
If he is swimming around and such just fine- then I wouldn't worry about the salt, just give him some time.. which could be days before he recovers. And dim the lights in his tank for a while until he calms down and while he recovers.

One way to try to get them without using a net (as they cause extra stress and can easily rip fins) is use the cup (or any small plastic cup) he came in and lure/wait for him to come to the surface.. and then quickly place the cup in next to him and if quick enough, the suction alone should be enough to bring him safely into the cup.
Some people have luck by dropping a piece of food in the cup and gently tilt the cup into the tank sideways.. and wait until the betta goes into the cup to get the food.

By using the cup, you are capturing him safely and you have him ready to be floated and acclimated to the temp AND the chemistry properly when doing a water change. Less stress for him!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Water about the same temp, i do weekely water changes about 75% he seems to be swimming around ok and has just eaten, tried catching him in a cup before with no success hes pretty fast guess i will have to try again. He seems to sense when im trying to catch him. Shall keep an eye on him and do extra changes

Thankyou so much dont know what id do without this site

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Water about the same temp, i do weekely water changes about 75% he seems to be swimming around ok and has just eaten, tried catching him in a cup before with no success hes pretty fast guess i will have to try again. He seems to sense when im trying to catch him. Shall keep an eye on him and do extra changes

Thankyou so much dont know what id do without this site
How big is his aquarium. weekly 75% water changes maybe too stressful depending on the housing.

I have a 5.5 gallon and I do 30% changes weekly/50% with gravel vacuum monthly.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Its a 4 gallon i vacum gravel at each water change also, am i changing to much water?
Does it have a filter? I do believe this contributes as to how much you should be changing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got up this morning and Blaze gill is still open hes swimming around ok and seems fine its meant to be his fasting day today but do you think i should feed him, worried about changing water again so soon will that not stress him more, so should i not be doing 75% water changes

Thankyou again for yr help

We are all worried about Blaze

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Hell be fine without a feeding. Spike actually got mad at me for not feeding him. He flared at me the whole day. If today is his weekly water change I'd do one to keep the water quality up and his immune system up.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah Blaze always looks at me with an angry look as though to say wheres my food, water change was only yesterday, ammonia and Nitrite both zero he does seem ok but cant stop worrying woke up at 4am this morning to check on him. He was not moving, think i woke him up as when he saw me he swam up to say hello

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Yeah Blaze always looks at me with an angry look as though to say wheres my food, water change was only yesterday, ammonia and Nitrite both zero he does seem ok but cant stop worrying woke up at 4am this morning to check on him. He was not moving, think i woke him up as when he saw me he swam up to say hello
Bettas are drama kings and queens. I changed Spike's gravel to white sand/had to put him in his cup. Needless to say I got the "talk to the fin" response every time xD

And the day after I fast him I give him a few frozen brine shrimp/he loves me afterwords. Just like the cat, I haveta do something she doesn't like to her, she hates me, then I give her a kitty treat and she loves me again.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
4 gallons, no live plants you would want to be doing 40-50% water change per week with siphoning each time. The filter doesn't remove the waste, just hides it. If you have a lot of live plants you can do the 20-30% per week method with monthly siphoning.. but no live plants you need to up it to keep the tank clean.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
4 gallons, no live plants you would want to be doing 40-50% water change per week with siphoning each time. The filter doesn't remove the waste, just hides it. If you have a lot of live plants you can do the 20-30% per week method with monthly siphoning.. but no live plants you need to up it to keep the tank clean.

Have been doing weekly water changes (maybe to much 75%) with siphoning also weekly no live plants just couple of moss balls. His left gill is still out hes eating and active and responding to me. Will it close? is he more prone to infection? this is now the 2nd day still concerned.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bettas are drama kings and queens. I changed Spike's gravel to white sand/had to put him in his cup. Needless to say I got the "talk to the fin" response every time xD

And the day after I fast him I give him a few frozen brine shrimp/he loves me afterwords. Just like the cat, I haveta do something she doesn't like to her, she hates me, then I give her a kitty treat and she loves me again.
Bless them i never thought fish could have such personalities, nice fish looks a bit like mine

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Bless them i never thought fish could have such personalities, nice fish looks a bit like mine
Oh believe me they do.
My Spike seems to think the world revolves around making me smile. Every time I come to his tank he is doing something that makes me giggle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts