Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought Ember to his new home on Thursday. His fins weren't perfect, but still nice. Today, they looked shredded on the ends... Please look at the pic and tell me what you think... thanks

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
pics

Attachments

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Looks like possible fin rot or maybe tailbiting, I think bettafix should do the job.
If it is tailbiting it may just be stress from moving tanks, if it is then he should calm down soon

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'd agree that it could be either fin rot or tailbiting. With fin rot, the edges of the fins can be discoloured (darker or lighter from what I've read). With tailbiting, in my experience, the fins are just ripped up and ragged. It's hard to tell which it is since the pictures are small.

I will however disagree with bettafix. I've heard more negative about it than good. Treating with medications for fin rot should be avoided unless it is extremely persistent/advanced in my opinion. For now, I'd say just keep the water super clean - his fins will heal themselves with time and clean water! Either way, whether it is fin rot or tailbiting, you want to keep the water super clean since the injured fins from tailbiting can turn into fin rot.

If you want to treat with something for possible fin rot, aquarium salt is a good start I've heard. I don't want to recommend on dosing as I've never used it, perhaps someone else can advise on that.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
:I either way, you don't need to medicate for either.

and NEVER use bettafix. many people have reported it damaging the betta's laberynth organ. which is what they use to breath.

if you just brought him home, and it's tail biting, being in his new environment may curb that.

if it's fin rot, keep his water extra clean, and if you wish, add a little aquarium salt.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm thinking maybe he is biting it.. I took out the plants and cave to check for sharp edges... he has no filter...

I looked at some bettas biting their tails on youtube.... wow..

So, maybe he is just stressed. Next change tmr.. I'll put in some API Stress Coat.

Thanks for the suggestions.. if it gets worse I might consider something more, but for now I think I'll just keep him clean and watch for the next few days...

He is active and eating... swims all over, comes up to see you when you walk over...

·
Registered
781 Posts
Bettafix = bad!

Keep his water CLEAN. Use 1 tsp/gallon AQ salt. Dissolve before putting it in. Do not use longer than 10 days.

Stress coat helps as well, but I see you already did that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts