Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please help! Betta hovering near top of tank!

We’ve had our betta fish for almost a year, and she’s been VERY healthy and happy. But recently about 2-3 weeks ago we went on vacation, my parents came over to feed her (they knew exactly how much to feed her) but the tank went too long un-cleaned, although it looked clean. After we returned I check her (Lita the betta) and she appeared to be fine. I went to the store and when I came back I went to look at her and her one eye had bulged out. I immediately “googled” it and it said Popeye. I then cleaned her tank and since it was 11pm. The very next day I went to Petsmart and I bought an API Fungus Cure for her. I followed the directions to the tee, after a week she appeared to be getting better, although the eye was now barely popping out and she had some fin rot. We did another round of treatment along with the tank cleaning but she remained the same, although she was obviously feeling much better she was swimming happy and eating fine. Then came this past Sunday, we cleaned her tank about 50% and on Monday once again put in the meds as she still continued with the fin rot and the eye now kinda popped but looking so much better. In 48 hours as directed on the packed which would be Wednesday I gave her (LIta) the treatment again, BUT on Friday (which was yesterday 8/8/14) which is another 48 hours later, she is NOT better, now the white fungus near the eye is back and she hiding. I panic….I immediately put in treatment (which should be fine since it had been over 48 hours, as directed). I check her later last night and she hovering near the top of the tank, at this point I put in a little Stress coat because I’m wondering about the water. Now it’s Saturday I just checked her again, she is still at the top of the tank she has white spots around her face and her eye appears to be bulging a little more than yesterday. I just don’t know what to do!! I’m guessing I should now clean her tank? And then follow up with more meds tomorrow (48 hours later) I just don’t know how to help her!! Please, please HELP!!

Housing
What size is your tank? 5,5 gal
What temperature is your tank? Always 82
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, but not recently because of meds
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? NO
Is your tank heated? NO
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? NONE

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? API premium betta pellets(but they are very very small)
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once per day just a couple

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? About every 2 weeks until recently, now every week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Only API Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? NO although I have taken my water in to be checked after cleaning to make sure that I put in enough Stress coat and they said it was fine.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Eye still a little bulged, white tuffs and spots
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? YES! Hovering near top of tank and kinda twitching
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Friday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? API fungus Cure
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Has been sick for 2 weeks
How old is your fish (approximately)? Almost 1 year

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.