Betta Fish Forum banner

13221 - 13240 of 13244 Posts

·
Registered
"Buddy"
187 Posts

Update: new month new payday so I got some more crypts, the rotala is having some teething issues so I trimmed the leaves.
Going gently gently with the stocking and added 3 cherry shrimp (hiding in this pic), more cherries and some floating frogbit to come either next week or next fortnight depending on what the water parameters do.
Not stocking any further afterwards except a single assassin and nerite but not unless/until pest snails or surface algae develops.

·
RusselltheShihTzu
20,580 Posts
TBO, I've never cared for multi-colored substrate. Your tanks makes me change my mind. Not only is the 'scaping good but the substrate sets it all off very nicely against the black background.

·
Registered
"Buddy"
187 Posts
Thanks. Tbh I underestimated the contrast in that fine gravel, it looked a lot darker in the bag when I bought it but I'm glad it came out that way in the end as it ties in nicely with the large quartz stones though I expect them to go green the way they catch the light since they've got more texture unlike the crystals in the forground.
_
Edit: I'll just put this in for comparisson (it's my 1st betta tank 7us/5imp gal cube) from a few years ago. As I recall that filter was precycled because I had full swing multiple tank syndrome so I always had a 2nd filter running in the main tank waiting for the next one. :LOL:

·
Registered
LongHa & Barbie
210 Posts

My boy having an awesome day in this rather modest tank. Design is minimal as he is usually sick. I got the red gravel to match his tail, but I feel I ahould have done a finer neutral substrate so he can stand out more and a more natural environment when I add live plants later.

I have a tetra 50 watt, keeping water steady at 78.8. A topfin Betta Whisper filter (currently turned off. LH hates this thing). There's also a topfin digital thermometer (abt $10 at petsmart, I find that fairly priced).
Anyone aware of a compatible filter for this 2.5 Aqueon Minibow?

·
Registered
LongHa & Barbie
210 Posts
Providing more plants and coverage would very likely help him considerably. He's pretty exposed the way he is.
Hi!! I can understand how he might not like being bare. He hides behind the heater a lot as a result. So I appreciate this feedback!

I'm currently only limited to fake plant ATM as I'm not confident enough for the real thing. Should I get some extra long ones so they float up top? I feel really limited to this size but its the best I can do right now because he gets sick a lot. Fake plant scape inspo is hard to find.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Tell me about it! I was nervous about live plants, but believe me they're easier to care for than artificial. They don't get dirty! Buy an Anubias. As RussellTheShihTzu once said, they're bomb proof. Float it in the tank and your Betta will love it. Tons of leaves for coverage along with places to rest upon. And your tank will look fabulous, not to mention will have healthier water.

·
Registered
LongHa & Barbie
210 Posts
Thanks so much! I have some java fern in a cup I can add too.
Im going to look into some more filter less tanks as an alternative if I can't find a good replacement. I think a flourish of plants around that heart would look super cute with some sand.

·
Registered
LongHa & Barbie
210 Posts
Hi there. Updated it this way for now.
I soaked the plants in some super hot water.

I bought a tetra whisper for 1-4gal. I'll load it up when I clean the tank so I can run but through the water for a while.

Edit: I took out the plant that is front and center and perched the leaf on top of one of the plants up top so he can rest on it. Its a bit easier to swim through now.

13221 - 13240 of 13244 Posts