Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my boy bubba i think has been tail biting or may have minor fin rot , these pics are of him when he had no spikey plant , as a noob i got a plant and its been mesin with him BUT i toook it out so know its getting worse:cry: these are a few weeks ago pics pls take a look at his top fin its the worst , and i never see him biteing , aand take in mind that it looks a little bit worser than this but i think the split down the middle in his top fin is healin the pics may not look so good tho

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i hope my bubbas ok , and the tank is ok for my vt that they will be switching in and out tanks

·
Registered
10,971 Posts
We need some more info....tank size, filter, live plants, water temp, additives used, appetite, tank mates, how long have you had him, how much and how often are the water changes.....

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
his tank looks very bare, either way. he could be tail biting due to stress and boredom.
agreed
not sure if he is in a hospital tank or not. but try changing up his decor once in a while.
I change my Spike's scenery every month. Manly just to give him entertainment but also because I'm a paranoid momma and afraid he'd start biting away his gorgeous fins :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we think the tank is 2gall and hes got one plant and a sleepy leaf , his old cup that i boght him in is in there sideways so he can use it for whatever , and hes got a bubble maker . no gravell and i use the aqua safe stuff around 10 drops and he eats betta food pellets 1 or 2 or 3 a day sometimes i skipp feeding if he seems fat or full and no watter heater but hes ok

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh ya hes got 2 floaty lps fish toys

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I would try changing/or adding/removing decor maybe once a week or every 2 weeks. maybe even once a month.

What you have for him is a very plain environment. Add hiding places. Not hiding places that can be seen right through like his cup. More plants. Maybe some gravel or sand.

Why don't you have any gravel or sand? Bedding of some sort?

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Also got to ask, what is the temperature? Remember that bettas need temps between 78 and 82F. He'll heal more quickly in water of that temperature than in cold water.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
he has no heater its room temp and my house is kept at 70 amyway , my mom had a freind who had huge bettas with a tank that had nothin in it , i wonder how she did it, anyway i put the plant back in and thismorning he has a rip in his butt fin ( i dont remember what its called) so i was going to change watter anyyway , back in the vase for bubbba and im gona get clear pics of brooke for u guys , and if bubba improves in the tank il tell u

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
should i add some tipe of salt aquarium salt stuff , ? i jave sea salt i use for my hermit crab juji but thats not for bettaf , so any watter aditives would help? besides aquasafe

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
No, please do not use sea salt for your betta. What you really need is a heater because 70 F is really far too cold for a tropical fish- 80 degrees is the optimal temperature. Bettas are ectotherms, meaning they cannot produce their own heat as humans can. So basically, their internal temperature will be the same as that of their environment..if too cold they will be very lethargic and have a weakened immune system that is unable to fight off disease. So please, a heater is a must!

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
yes
70F is far far too cold for bettas
my house is kept a 73F and the water temp drops QUICKLY
I recommend getting a heater. Keeping the water temp at 80F
Get some silk or soft plants and some decor. Provide him with stimuli and proper water temp. And he should improve.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the problem is at petco theres only hard and sharp stuff , and i cant afford a heater , il try to get one asap but for know hes gotta stay ok , and i know not to use seasalt past experiance and my silly mom with neons :p but i just put him in the vase to make sure that i know its tail biteing not just sharp decor oh ya that means brooke is in the big tank so he will have pics up soon

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
the problem is at petco theres only hard and sharp stuff , and i cant afford a heater , il try to get one asap but for know hes gotta stay ok , and i know not to use seasalt past experiance and my silly mom with neons :p but i just put him in the vase to make sure that i know its tail biteing not just sharp decor oh ya that means brooke is in the big tank so he will have pics up soon
I have a petco near me. And I have visited several other petcos in different states and cities. All carry decor soft enough for betta fins.
Hard decor is fine. Look for the plants specifically marked as silk plants. Or grab ones that feel like cloth or fabric.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what im sayingis they are all sharp cant find a one thats good , but ill look next time i go

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
For now, to keep the temperature as high (and constant) as possible, put the tank in a warm space, like high up in a cupboard. I would keep him in the tank, not the vase, as a the larger amount of water will keep a more stable temperature. Wrap the tank in towels and blankets to keep the warmth in.

Keep the sharp decor out of the tank and put in soft or smooth things - coffee mugs, PVC pipes, hamster tubes. It doesn't have to be plants for now, just things that he can hide in. Just make sure it's clean.

If you want to add salt to the water, use AQ salt. You don't need to, though. Heat will do far more than salt. Keep the water super clean. I'd suggest a 50% change every second day.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok

1 - 18 of 18 Posts