Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and how old are you, and how anvanced would you say you are?

I am 14, I know more than a beginner, but im no expert. I have been fish-keeping for almost.. hmm i started with a goldfish at the end of last school year, and he died in 3 days, then i got my first betta in july, so thats.. 9 months!

I have 3 tanks, and 10 fish, a snail, and 4 shrimp, all very healthy! so its not the time youve spent on it, but how much you have learned :D i am a quick learner :p plus my mom was a marine biologist.. well she studied in college and failed and became a doctor, but.. i guess that helped :p

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Im 12. Been keeping fish since I was 11, so probably a year and a half. I would say I'm not a beginner yet, I'm no expert either, I'm way too far from being an expert, maybe slightly past beginner?

I have 14 tanks in all. 1 12 gallon with multiple fancy guppies, 1 14 gallon with platies, 1 16 gallon with kuhlis, neons, pygmies and a sparkling gourami, 3 5 gallons with 1 male Betta in each, 6 jars with other brine Shrimp or a small scale colony of different types of snails, 1 1 gallon temporary, and a 10 gallon with a very small scale breeding colony of wild strain guppies and a male Betta

·
Registered
318 Posts
Do you mean consecutive years? Because I started keeping fish as a child in elementary school, I think I was about 8 when my parents brought home guppies and we kept them in a large wine-making bottle. After a few months they bought a 15 gal tank which we had for about 10 years (then they got a 40 gal hex). It was kept as a community tank. I was the one "elected" by default to do all the water schlepping and algae scraping and sick fish diagnosing/treating. In the meantime when I was about 10 I got a 10 gal tank of my own in which I kept fancy goldfish.

But there were a couple of periods of a few years (say 10 in total) when I was a young adult and moving around a lot, that I didn't keep any fish. During the remaining years I always had at least a betta or a few goldfish.

BTW I'm 46 now. So, 46-18, I've been keeping fish for roughly 28 years. God I'm old. :p

·
Registered
563 Posts
Well I'm 20, and have been keeping fish for... about a month. :p But I am learning SO much, as I am on this site every single day, reading everything I can. I have one permanent fish in his ten gallon, and have taken in a total of six (my sixth gotten today). I have rehomed two so far, need a home for the other two, and one unfortunately didn't make it through the night as his illness was severe. So I have really hit the ground running with all this, and am so glad I found a hobby that I can stick with for more than a week. I even got my fiance into fish!

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm 20 and have kept fish since I was a child. However, ive been the sole keeper of my own fish for 4 months. About 17 years combined.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Im 14 and would say im an intermediate whrn it comes to experience.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm 38, first betta when I was about 12, then no fish, now back to bettas for about 6 months. I have 10 tanks, 15 bettas, a cat I've had for 15 years, a kitten, and a horse. I'm just past beginner with bettas. LOL Pogthefish I studied marine bio and then became a doctor too:) But I'm a pediatrician, and kids and pets are similar patients actually; they're adorable, but they can't tell you what's wrong when they're sick:)

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm 13 (almost 14) got my first fish two septembers ago,(goldfish) after they kept dying I a wanted to get a fish that is known for living a long life and is very pretty. So my dad surprised me with a betta! :)

·
Registered
980 Posts
hmm... 17 years. I had a betta when I was about 15 and he lived a nice long time.. I took him with me when I moved out at 18, but he died soon after. I started keeping and breeding angels after that, and was at it for about 3 years. My husband got sick of it when we got married so I stopped and just had a pair and didn't breed them. Had a few other fish in there while I was on the Angels. When they died I stopped keeping fish. Took a lloooonnnggg break and just got into bettas a few years back, starting with Lunch, who would have been the catalyst for my current obsession if disaster hadn't struck. Took me a while to get over that.. but now I have Bettabettabetta and the other 6 kids

And that brings me to.. 8 years of serious fish keeping over the last 17 years.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I'm like Mo. I'm 12 and have been keeping and researching fish since 11. So about one year. Though I did have one when I was 3... It stayed with me tell I was 6!
( Considering I knew nothing about fish and it lived in one of them half gallon tanks I think that is pretty good. )

·
Registered
249 Posts
My family has been on and off with fish. We first had a community tank with some tetras. Our first betta came in when I was about 8. So I've been betta keeping for about 9 years, seeing as I'm 17 now.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have been doing fish keeping for about 1 year and 8 months, on and off. I had an aquarium when I was younger for about a year or so and now I'm getting back into fish keeping and have been at it for 8 months now.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I'm 26 and I have been keeping fish since I was little but as my responsibility only for a year.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
XD thats cool, all of ur stories! im surprised tho, i thot most people here were adults.. :D I'm gunna go make a more official poll, cuz i have a ton more questions i'll link it here soon :D

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm a little over my mid 20's and I would consider myself a intermediate, been handling bettas since I was 12 and many things have change through out the years, When I turned 20 been on and off with it due to "The Real World of Life" and kids that I'm very proud of and has the same interest in bettas fishes too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts