Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I finally decided to start a thread about my rescue organization and the bettas that I have rescued along with their stories. I have rescued a few bettas in the past; some were successful and some didn't make it unfortunately, but lately I have acquired quite a few vt's thanks to my buddies from my local pets unlimited. Some were given to me for free or at a discount. Forever thankful for my pet store friends! They understand my urge to help the bettas and trust me to nurse them back to health. Once the bettas are healthy, I find them loving homes that must be approved by me before sending them off!

Thank you for clicking on my thread. I hope you enjoy! :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Good for you. :) I hate how walmart treats their fish. :-(

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I <3 rescues! Keep us posted with lots of photos ;-)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First i'll introduce you to "Tye". Nicknamed after my boyfriend, Tylor, hehe. He was the healthier of the two bettas that I rescued from the pet store on August 2. Besides being a little thin and stressed, he was in good shape and had no signs of illness or disease. I knew this guy was going to be able to go to a home quite quick because he improved so much since day 1 with me. On August 10, I found the right home for him with a girl who also shared a passion for fish. He is currently living in a 10 gallon community tank.

August 2

August 9, one day before he went to his new home.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The other betta who came with Tye, who I have named Shubie, after Shubenacadie, a town in Nova Scotia, didn't arrive so well. He came to me with some nitrite poisoning and a tiny bit of velvet. He mostly laid at the bottom and only moved a few times. He was quite skinny. Shubie didn't eat until a couple days after I rescued him, but once he did eat, he perked right up and started to re-gain his energy and personality. Shubie is still in my care at the moment. I have grown a bit attached to him and I am not sure of his fate yet. He has improved so much since August 2. He turned into quite the curious little fish!

August 2, first day home

August 8

August 10

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The third rescue was one my friend at the pet store pointed out to me and said that he would give me him for free because he wasn't in that good of shape. I was surprised the little betta was still alive. He looked dead when the employee took him off the shelf to show me. I didn't even think twice before taking this guy home. He was in rough shape. The little betta still has no name, all i've been calling him is "little fishy". I haven't really found the right name for him yet.

"Little Fishy" came to me on deaths door. I'm not exactly sure if he has a disease/illness. I'm not even sure if he does. I do know that he was emaciated. Poor guy had very sticky fins and it made him hard to swim around. He was also weak the first day. I plopped him in warm water and added a bit of aq salt to his water. I wasn't sure if he was going to make it through the night. But he did. And he is still alive today. I got "Little Fishy" on August 10, right before Tye left for his new home. Even in the past two days, he has perked right up, although his fins are still clamped and sticky. His appetite isn't too big either. I've only been feeding him little bits at a time since he's so skinny, I don't want his stomach to explode. He only eats a little then swims off and rests. His appetite is slowly growing which is good. Here are some crappy photos.

August 10, first day home

August 11

August 12 (waters low because I was slowly changing his water)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
whew! Writing betta bios is a lot of work. Okay here we go again!

On August 10 I brought home another rescue that came with "Little Fishy". Robin has some SBD and is a bit stressed but the SBD has seemed to have cleared up and he should be ready for his new home soon.

I named him Robin after the tragic and shocking death of Robin Williams. I am so shocked to hear that he committed suicide. :( Depression is the silent and evil killer. He will always be one of my favorite actors. Rest in peace Robin Williams.

August 10

August 12

he's cute

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay so I got back from my run and sat down at the kitchen table and ate some chips................................................................:lol: I ran hard I decided I needed a treat for myself

Anywho, one more bio on a new rescue.

This rescue I got on August 11. I go to the pet store quite often if you haven't noticed lol. All of my rescues that I have posted on this thread have came from the same pet store. This guy was given to me for a discount which I am fine with. He is clamped and a bit skinny. He is quite nervous too. Here he is.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Rescues are the best! Especially when you can save them and get to see them thrive again. "Little Fishy" is going to be quite a looker when he colors up ;-)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Updates yay!!

I have an important question for all of you, I want "Little Fishy" to have a PROPER name! No more of this lil fish non sense lol. Comment your ideas and I will pick out one from the list :)

Okay on with the updates...

Changed "lil fishy's" water this evening and the red/purple guy. I managed to snap a few pictures of them that I will post. All the rescues are doing great, Robin's SBD has subsided and he is very active and will soon be ready for a home. Little hasn't really showed much improvement over the past couple of days. Getting him to eat is a struggle. He is always clamped/still has sticky fins. His symptoms are hard to diagnose because the only ones he has are no appetite, colour loss and clamped/sticky fins. He is a tough one.

Here is the purple/red guy. He is quite spunky.

The velvet is disappearing also. It didn't seem to affect him much.

Robin just being normal

Little Fishy hiding his face...

poor guy

·
Registered
256 Posts
EDIT!!

Doh! I was confusing the fishies! I want to second myexplodingcat's Pennywort suggestion. He really seems to like that fabric plant.:)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Am I too late for the naming? I'm going to throw out Newton though anyways :roll:

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not too late for the naming!!

Just an update...all the rescues are doing great. Robin is going to be looking for a new home very soon. I would post pictures of the bettas but yesterday I was at a horse show and well...I got kicked in the knee by my friends horse, my pony decided to freak out and jump down on my toe and now its broken, and while I was driving up to the barn after we unloaded the horses, a piece of metal with a screw punctured my tire and I had to put the spare on!!! Horse shows are always the worst for me....lol

1 - 20 of 46 Posts