Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is more of a general question for curiosity's sake than a health-related issue (as of now!), so I'm going to post it here.

I decided to try fasting my boy, Isaac, for the first time yesterday, partly because I know some people swear by weekly fasts and partly because he hadn't pooped in a few days, so I figured it was as good a time as any. He didn't eat on Friday, and today I thawed, skinned, soaked and chopped up a pea to give him. I only fed him half of the pea, and in small bite-sized pieces. He ate it happily. Things are good. (The little guy is SO QUICK-- watching him dive for the pieces was adorable. He's a smart little nut.)

Thing is, now he's noticeably bloated-- not severely, but I can see a little swell to his tummy. Is this normal after pea-feeding? (In retrospect, I think I should've probably spaced out the feeding a little better-- maybe a quarter of the pea in the morning and a quarter at night.)

More importantly, is it going to pass? Should I resume feeding as normal tomorrow, or wait until the bloating goes down/he poops? He's perfectly active and has absolutely no trouble swimming, so hopefully that's a good sign.

(Mostly I'm just looking for general fasting/pea-feeding related tips, experiences, what to do differently next time, etc. Thanks in advance!)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely keep that in mind-- especially the bit about doing evening/morning fasting when he gets constipated.

Currently he's actually in a 1.5ish L bowl submerged in a larger tank, just for some fin repair/monitoring purposes, and it's easy to check whether he's pooped or not during water changes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.