How many gallons is your tank?
22litres/ 4.8 gallons/ 5.8 US gallons
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 25C
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Fluval Bug bites daily . Plus Dried bloodworms infrequently
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? I think so?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 3 or 4 bug bite pellets twice a day depending on how big the pellets are

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of water did you change? 30-50%
What is the source of your water? Tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Love fish Tap safe

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0-0.5
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
pH: 6.8
Hardness (GH): 8od
Alkalinity (KH): 15od

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
Last week, but he picked up and seemed himself again. He’s seemed sick again for the last 3 days.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? It hasn’t as far as I can see
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Staying hidden in barrel tank ornament. Not coming out for food. Still seemingly swimming well when disturbed.
Is your Betta still eating? Possibly eating food that sinks in the tank but not coming to the surface to eat.
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? No
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Seemed unwell last week for a couple of days but then picked up.
How long have you owned your Betta? 11 months
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Not as far as I’m aware.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Apologies, posted the questionnaire accidentally without adding more information.

My Betta Olivier has been really out of sorts for the last 3 days or so, plus a couple of days the week before.
He is hiding in his barrel and not coming out at all. When I’ve physically disturbed the barrel he’s swam indignantly out of the way and seems to be swimming fine and has no visible changes. But he’s not coming out at all and I haven’t witnessed him eat anything in more than 3 days. I have put small amounts of food in the tank on a couple of occasions in the hope that he would sniff it out later when I wasn’t around. I’ve kept the tank light off for the last 2 days to try and minimise any stress.
He’s had no health problems so far and this is completely out of character.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for replying. These are the only clear ones I’ve managed to get of him since I’ve started worrying because I have to chase him out of the barrel then get the photo before he goes back in.

·
Registered
"Buddy"
125 Posts
Two things immediately stand out that I would investigate further.

When you say Ammonia is at 0 - 0.5 do you mean to say it looks like 0.2 ish or that it's fluctuating between 0 and 0.5? If frequently at 0.2 how long has it been like this and if it's fluctuating is that between water change dates?
Also when you said he was unwell but then picked up a bit last week was that fresh after a water change too?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two things immediately stand out that I would investigate further.

When you say Ammonia is at 0 - 0.5 do you mean to say it looks like 0.2 ish or that it's fluctuating between 0 and 0.5? If frequently at 0.2 how long has it been like this and if it's fluctuating is that between water change dates?
Also when you said he was unwell but then picked up a bit last week was that fresh after a water change too?
Sorry, should have been clearer. Thanks so much for replying.
I'm using the API test strips and it looks midway between the 0 and 0.5 indicators so around 0.2 as you said. All the readings have stayed very consistent over the last 3 days.

When he was first unwell it was 2 days after a water change, so I tested everything and it was all good apart from pH which was low (not sure how it got to that state from fine midway through the previous week). So I used some API pH up but I've been cautious with using too much as the KH is already pretty high just because of the water in my area. The next morning after the pH up he seemed better, perhaps because of it, perhaps coincidently. Sunday is his water change day... I suppose I can hope that it perks him up.

·
Registered
"Buddy"
125 Posts
Hmm well in the immediate I'd do a large water change (%50-80 use warm water in the replacement so it's not a shock or waiting for the heater to get it back to 25 degress) and see if he improves at all after that, it may simply be stress from the ammonia spike, so if you can get that under control that at least by process of elimination takes it off the list of possible causes. I wouldn't worry about slightly acidic water btw they have a decently range of what they can tolerate as long as the pH isn't going up and down wildly too fast and too often for them to acclimate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts