Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
InFINity is a Dragonscale Betta, and I have had him around a year. He has pop-eye on one eye right now, and yesterday I noticed swollen lips, but today they are REALLY swollen. My clearest description is that he looks like a catfish! http://funfishingfact.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/catfish.jpg
Only the upper lip sticks up a bit more than that.

Two recent things happened in the last 3 weeks. 2.5 weeks ago, I went to clean his tank (3 gallon, heated to 82 in summer and 77-78 in the winter - that is all the heater can manage to do - small heater). I noticed that his heater had been un-plugged! I have no idea if it had been 1 day or 1 week. His tank water was 68 degrees. I cried, I felt so bad! SO, that no doubt stressed him.
Then, to make it worse - I didn't clean it again until yesterday! I was really sick, and it got overlooked. I usually clean it once a week. Full water change. Tap water and Prime, 17 drops. This time it was 2.5 weeks. :shock: No wonder his eye looks like this :shock::shock:

He has had pop-eye one other time, both sides, really bad - and recovered. I put Epsom salt in his water and changed it a couple of times, and he recovered.

I don't know what to do now, though. Clearly it was dirty water and perhaps stress from his cold bath a couple of weeks ago. I don't remember how to do Epsom salt treatment (pretty sure last time I just put about a teaspoon in his water, dissolved it, and put him back in. Changed it EOD for a few times and then left it and he healed).

So, I have Epsom salt available. I think I may have Aquarium salt somewhere, and not sure what else on hand. I can get whatever is needed tomorrow, if it is at a Petsmart or Walmart.

Any ideas?
I really let him down. I love him and am so sorry!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I do also have a Master Kit test kit but haven't been using it because I lost the color coded thing you compare the vials to. Anyone know where I can get the color coded card?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I can't see the pic but can you get him in Epsom salt for now? Maybe turn off all he lights to help with his stress

Just put he pic of the vials on here and one of us can tell

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Here for now
You should be able to print the card off the API website I think

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, that picture helps!

So, Epsom salt for tonight - all night? How much for his not quite 3 gallons?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
2.75ish teaspoons dissolved in water first, if swelling goes down good if not there may be an underlying problem

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I just ES'ed his tank and will see how he looks tomorrow.

Tomorrow, now, I am guessing I should do a complete water change.
Should I add ES again? Is there a limit to how much time he can hang out in his ES water?
While I was waiting for it to dissolve, I was happy to see he was swimming around wondering what I was doing. His tank light broke, so I don't get to watch him so much as I used to, but I had it open and was analyzing him.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
He might like a little light when you're with him then, if he is acting normal he should be ok. Tops is 1tsp/g for 9 days, similar to AQ salt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts