Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm suddenly getting pop ups (congratulations you have won an iPad!) when on bettafish.com
Is there anyone else with problems, and can I fix it?

·
Registered
939 Posts
I use firefox and sometimes chrome, haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
53 Posts
what browser are you two using? I haven't experienced anything like that.

I'm using google chrome.
I use firefox on my PC and amazon silk on my kindle. I get virus pop-ups on both. I don't have this problem on any other forums or websites I visit.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I also get these. One is an "Urgent Chrome Update" that looks like something from Google, but actually has a different web address. Sometimes I get a pop-up on my phone that says I won a $1,000 gift card, but the "Visa" one is "out of stock" and when you click on the Amazon one it says "Sorry, this item is also out of stock."

Also, the gift card one has comments that the date changes, but none new are ever added and they never change otherwise. I'm using Chrome also.

ETA: Also, I have Kaspersky AntiVirus, though it ran out and I started getting those. Now that I have it again, they still pop-up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
That's maybe some/most mobile apps dont have pop up blockers like desktop do. Although it can still get away with desktop popup blockers as it cant block them all.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I used to get these all the time, even with popup blockers but now they only happen occasionally. Now my problem is that when I'm on this site on my phone I get error messages when trying to leave and go to a new website. I have to enter the new website multiple times before it will let me leave.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sure thing - How do I get a geo location?

I've been browsing using my laptop and so far I've had no problems. Seems to be just when I'm using the ipad - which is strange because I never get pop ups on apple products.

·
Administrator
1,223 Posts
Hey Kevinthefish - geo location as in where you live :D (city/state)

Don't forget to include the other details as Glenda requested above:

1. Url of the pop up ad
2. screenshot
3. device/browser
4. your location

Thanks,
Natalie

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Got the URL. This one is a gift card scam on Safari (iPhone 5s?). I didn't get a screenshot as it only gives you two minutes to "claim your prize" but here is he link; Chance to get $1000 Walmart reward card.

Normally when I get this I am in Fargo, ND, but this time I was on my phone driving to Nebraska. We are somewhere within an hour of the border of SD/ND.

ETA: As we drove into Sisseton, it popped up twice again. I got screenshots and will post them Monday night. It seems to only happen when I'm on this site and not connected to WiFi.

·
Administrator
1,223 Posts
Sure thing - How do I get a geo location?

I've been browsing using my laptop and so far I've had no problems. Seems to be just when I'm using the ipad - which is strange because I never get pop ups on apple products.
your IP address would just be fine. if you don't want to post it publicly, you can send us a PM.

Internet and computer geolocation can be performed by associating a geographic location with the Internet Protocol (IP) address, MAC address, RFID, hardware embedded article/production number, embedded software number (such as UUID, Exif/IPTC/XMP or modern steganography), invoice, Wi-Fi positioning system, device fingerprint, canvas fingerprinting or device GPS coordinates, or other, perhaps self-disclosed information. Geolocation usually works by automatically looking up an IP address on a WHOIS service and retrieving the registrant's physical address.[ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geolocation]

Lee

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts