Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, have a male Betta and about a week or two he developed a cloudy eye. the one eye is not really swollen. It’s just cloudy and he has a little bump in the center of his eye, it’s hard to explain. Please see photo for reference. I started to kanaplex for and followed the directions but it did nothing. So I switched to Maracyn and tomorrow will be his 4/5 dose. His eye is not improving. I have no idea what to do because all the medictations are doing nothing. I think it’s Popeyes, but it’s not really puppyplease let me know if it might be something else like another sickness or just blind and possibly treatments.

Notes:
Eats greats and swims fine! it seems like he can see because he’s getting the food I drop into the tank. He’s currently in a 5 gallon that is heated to 78°F. He’s given high-quality pellets, blood worms and other things. water parameters seem fine.

Multiple opinions is very much appreciated! Im just so upset and sad it’s not going away.

Water Plant Fish supply Pet supply Organism

Water Plant Nature Liquid Fluid

Plant Water Window Pet supply Terrestrial plant

Water Organism Fin Underwater Marine biology

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Bettas, 5 Snails, 2 Shrimp, 3 Mice, 2 Hissing roaches
1,363 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry your baby isn't doing well.

I have a few questions if you don't mind?

How long have you had him?
Can he still see out of that eye at all?
Are there any sharp points in the tank?
Is it getting any worse?

It could be an eye injury, it could also be a form of cataract though that's both eyes generally (can advance at different stages per eye), it could be something genetic (not necessarily likely).
I'm prone to leaning to the first one though, but don't take my word for it currently.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry your baby isn't doing well.

I have a few questions if you don't mind?

How long have you had him?
Can he still see out of that eye at all?
Are there any sharp points in the tank?
Is it getting any worse?

It could be an eye injury, it could also be a form of cataract though that's both eyes generally (can advance at different stages per eye), it could be something genetic (not necessarily likely).
I'm prone to leaning to the first one though, but don't take my word for it currently.
Important Note: when I got him and up until he developed a cloudy eye his tank was empty and just had a silk plant in. Later, I put in a resin looking dragon scale looking rock. I don’t think he injured himself. I have been treating him with Marcyn and needs two more doses. Swims great and eats everything. He can still see his food. Not sure if he can see with the cloudy eye or just using the one good eye. The cloudy eye is not swollen just gray with a little bump like in the photo.

**So what do I do when the medicine doesn’t work ? Just let him live life I guess..

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 5 gallon
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? no

Food:
What food brand do you use? Hikari Betta Bio Gold, or vibra bites
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? Blood worms
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Twice a day, three pellets a day and mix later in the day with worms

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? One a week
What percentage of water did you change? 30 to 40 %
What is the source of your water? Tap that’s treated
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Vacuum
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Prime for dechlorination

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0.4 ppm
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:10
pH: 7.5
Hardness (GH): 300
Alkalinity (KH):200

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? 1 and a half week ago
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Just the left eye
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? No
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Maracyn with back instructions
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? One month
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Apologies for a late reply.

Did it appear slowly? Or was it sudden, like overnight?
Is there any improvement since you first noticed?

If it was there before the new decoration it might be genetic. Especially since medications aren't helping.
If Maracyn doesn't do the trick and if it isn't getting any worse I'd just leave it be. You're doing everything else great so I doubt it's an infection/illness of any sort.

If it is genetic, there's not much we can do except make him comfortable. Either way, he seems happy and full of energy!

If it is cataracts and it gets worse, you can work around it. Hand feeding and tweezers are great. Can't do anything for those either sadly except to accomidate for him.

Hope this of some help!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apologies for a late reply.

Did it appear slowly? Or was it sudden, like overnight?
Is there any improvement since you first noticed?

If it was there before the new decoration it might be genetic. Especially since medications aren't helping.
If Maracyn doesn't do the trick and if it isn't getting any worse I'd just leave it be. You're doing everything else great so I doubt it's an infection/illness of any sort.

If it is genetic, there's not much we can do except make him comfortable. Either way, he seems happy and full of energy!

If it is cataracts and it gets worse, you can work around it. Hand feeding and tweezers are great. Can't do anything for those either sadly except to accomidate for him.

Hope this of some help!
It just happened over night. I’ll just keep a watch. Also, I don’t know if this is part of it, but i literally just checked his tank and there’s fungus white fuzzy stuff on the gravel. it’s wasn’t there a day away. I guess I have to disinfect the whole tank now…? And put him in another tank while eferything in his old tank is being cleaned?Also, could this fungus on the decor be related to dosing the tank with medication And be the cause of the outbreak?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Yes, I would recommend just keeping watch right now.

Do you have a picture of it by chance that you could post?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I would recommend just keeping watch right now.

Do you have a picture of it by chance that you could post?
[/QUOTE

Sure! Im pointing to the spots and it’s also on the silk plant. Maybe the medicine contributed to this outburst? Also, I think I’m going to remove the spots of fungus and clean the plant and do a 50 water change. Also I think I’ll dose the tank with fungus treatment? Is that okay? I’ll take my betta out while all that is happening, right?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Honestly, I've never dealt with this or heard of anyone else dealing with it before so I can't give you a one hundred percent on what to do.

On that note.

Try scrubbing the plant and the water change first? That might help.
And the fungal treatment, is it specifically for tanks or is it for the fungus that grows on fish?

Also, thanks for the picture!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ll look more into it. Thanks for all the help! It’s just fungal treatment for fish, but I was reading it might help with it.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
No problem!

Alright. I would recommend taking him out while you're doing it if you decide to go that route.

Hope everything clears up soon!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts