Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
LongHa & Barbie
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi friends!
I was skimming on the forums first and (either I'm impatient or blind) I couldn't seem to find any recent posts about Bettas with popeye.
That being said, I took a look at my dear LH this morning and I noticed that his right eye is inflamed. He is his normal shy self and bobby (as per usual). So I'm hoping that I caught this early enough.

Please let me know how I can best keep LH comfortable and cured. Also, honest opinion on just biting the bullet and purchasing the frikken glass tank and filter with new substrate and a happy Betta.

<start rant> Some of you know I've been having issues with filtration and his tank. The cause of popeye, I feel, may be due to this. However, I've been told that the Aqueon Minibow filter is the best part of the tank (honestly, it's a suction piece of plastic and I still need to put a black sponge in it. beats me). I've been trying to work with it because I'm getting a lot of heck about buying new tanks and equipment. I have a filter and a tank in a shopping cart ready to go, but moving wet Fluval substrate around is something I don't want to think about. HELP MEEEEE</end rant>

Housing:

How many gallons is your tank? 2.5 gallons
Does it have a filter? Yes, it came with the tank. see above.
Does it have a heater? Yes, Tetra 50w
What temperature is your tank? Steady 78-80 degrees, depending if the window is open.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No..... should I?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Gilbert the snail pays him a visit every so often. edit: he has been moved to 20 gal since this post

Food:
What food brand do you use? Fluval Bug Bites for little fishies
Do you feed flakes or pellets? They're almost grandular pellets. For his weak witto tummy.
Freeze-dried? Daphnia once in a blue moon if I don't see much BM
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? 2x day. I give him a pinch each time. He likes to chase the sinking pieces these days.

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Twice
What percentage of water did you change? 25% and 50 - 75%
What is the source of your water? Le TAP a la kitchen sink
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Dip one day, vacuum on the heavier days. Sometimes vacuum twice depending on amount of BM
What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? Seachem Prime, ratio 2drops:1gal (stopped using API stress coat once his SBD settled)

Water Parameters:

What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.2
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Swelling this morning. I guess he has been eating a little less the last few days. He's up and down because of bloat (SBD)
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? More colourful than ever!
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Same bobbling dude. always hiding behind the heater, but he bounces over to say "hello" all the time.
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Will be moving him to a hospital tank with clean water and his heater. 1 gallon. edit, it's 0.5 gallons.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? SBD! w00t!
How long have you owned your Betta? It says on the forum that I've been active for 4 months, however I feel like it's been longer than that. I got him on the brink of Lockdown in the spring or summer. Anyway, I signed up as soon as I got him due to his SBD issues that were evident right away.
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? SBD! w00t!

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS

LONGHA Popeye.jpg

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
To answer about the air stone, if you can find one that doesn't have large bubbles, or put a piece of decor over it to help disperse the bubbles. They help with oxygenation and can also help if the surface of the water gets a biofilm on it.

Can you give your boy's water indian almond leaves or plain decaffeinated rooibos tea? These help ease stress, and are also anti bacterial and anti fungal

·
Registered
LongHa & Barbie
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always look forward to your replies @Mbpoppy . I'll certainly be making a trip to get the tea for him. In the meantime, I'll be moving him to the hospital tank.
My tank does tend to get biofilm, now that you mention it. But with LH SBD, will it be difficult for him? He spends most of his time at the surface.

2.5 is quite limiting. Overall, I've been feeling stressed out with my tanks. MTS remorse. :cautious:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Single eye swollen is usually just bumping into something rather than disease. For oxygenation of water, you could try a bubble want instead of air stone. It spreads the bubbles out instead of making one intense spot.

Depending on betta personality they seem to either play in air stone bubbles or be scared of them initially and then be curious. Mine always avoided the air stone but I did notice less trips to the surface and no biofilm on topof water after adding it. I removed the air stone and added bubble wand around 3 sides of my tank. Hopefully I'll get another betta sometime and she will be happy with the bubbles. My air stone had some dead spots in the water where there was no motion the bubble wand resolved that

·
Registered
LongHa & Barbie
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.2

Also added above in the intro of this post.

@Melogrunty I would be curious to know what he bumped into. He's not the most graceful fishes, but I don't keep a lot of deco in his tank, provided an anubias and a tunnel. Perhaps that wretched filter? (I'm holding a grudge, clearly.

·
Registered
LongHa & Barbie
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up doing a 100% water change in the 2.5. He's resting in the 0.5 nice and toasty in clean water.

Are epsom salts required in his case? It eye is a little milky colour. Below is a photo of his tank for reference. Heater is currently in the hospital tank.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I had this happen to one of my guys a couple weeks ago, no idea what he bumped it on. He had trouble seeing out of it for a few days and after about a week it was totally normal. I didn’t do anything but AIL. Usually if it’s just one it’s just a bump. If nothing else changes I’d just wait a few days, keep it nice and clean and try not to stress too much ☺

·
Registered
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
335 Posts
Agreed with everything above! Update us if it gets better or worse :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts