Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yay!!! So I was looking on pet store sites, Petland, Petsmart, Big Al's, Pisces Exotic Pets. When someone on one of my other threads, said I should look at Kijiji and Craigslist.

So I did that. I was planning on buying a 5 gal tank from Big Al's for $50, but thought to wait and see what I could find on Kijiji. I found a 10 gallon tank with canopy and Tetra Back of tank Water Filter
Brown and tan gravel
Large rock
2 Thermometers
Tetra filter cartridges
Fish Net
Small Glass Fish Bowl to use when cleaning tank
Sponge for cleaning tank
Extra bag of fish gravel
Fish food
Algae Eater Food
Insta Chlor
And brand new side aquarium water filter never used

All for $50!! Which would have been the same price for the 5 gallon I was looking at.
I'm going to pick it up tomorrow! :D And I measured the top of my dresser, which is where Poseidon resides right now, and I'll have more than enough room!

I'm so excited, and then all I have to buy is a heater and a mix of real and silk plants, I'm so happy!!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Awesome deal!! I'd recommend cycling that tank since 100% water changes on a 10 gallon aren't fun at all ;) My cycled 10 gallon tanks are VERY easy to keep. Just one partial water change a week and you're done :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome deal!! I'd recommend cycling that tank since 100% water changes on a 10 gallon aren't fun at all ;) My cycled 10 gallon tanks are VERY easy to keep. Just one partial water change a week and you're done :)
Is cycling, a term for partial water change?

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Is cycling, a term for partial water change?
No, cycling is the process by which bacteria convert harmful fish waste in the form of ammonia into nitrite and then finally nitrate (much less toxic). These bacteria live in the filter, substrate, and on tank/decoration surfaces and the colonies continuously remove ammonia from the water. This allows the fishkeeper to maintain their pets with only partial water changes as necessary to keep nitrates low and replenish necessary minerals in the water. Generally speaking, a cycled tank maintains better water quality and requires less maintenance than an uncycled one. In an uncycled tank, far more water changes are required to remove ammonia, and regular 100% water changes are necessary to ensure that ammonia can't build up in the system.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Very excited!!! I still need to get a heater, which I didn't have one to start with, but will be getting one very soon, the hood didn't have a light, so I ordered a light that can be placed in the tank. I did have fake plants, but found they were actually cutting his fins, so sadly it's a bit empty.

Poseidon seems happy. :) Never thought I'd get a 10 gallon tank!

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Added a couple of things to help make it homey for him, until I can buy some stuff for him. A mug and a crystal nutcracker candle holder (never been used).

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was worried that the tank would be too much for him, I mean with it being empty, no plants, or really any decor, I'm still needing to go by a heater. The water at the bottom seems warmer than the water on top. I'll have to test the themometers.

But he seems happy, swimming actively, his fins are wide and open, he's eating normally. I think I did good with this tank. :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
does that filter have an adjustable flow thing on the top of the pipe? i think i have the same filter! if it is it works great for my 10g sorority
Um at the top of the pipe there is a little knobby thing that changes the flow of water going in? Im not fully sure, its from Petcetera it came with my tank.
After hearing about fish sororities that people have, i kind of wish i got a female betta instead of male one. Lol but i love Poseidon, and dont regret him.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
a baffle is to slow down the water coming out of the filter because bettas dont like strong flow
Ooooooooh that makes sense. Then im happy i picked this one, instead of the other that came with the tank.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts